Former Prime Minister P V Narasimha Rao was neither worshipping nor asleep at the time of demolition of the Babri mosque in Ayodhya on December 6, 1992, a former IPS official Kishore Kunal said today.
Contrary to the claims of veteran journalist Kuldeep Nayar in his soon-to-be published book 'Beyond The Lines',
Kunal, who was the Officer on Special Duty (OSD) to the Union Home Ministry on the Ayodhya issue, said, "the factual position is that Rao was neither worshipping nor sleeping at the time of demolition of the Babri Mosque on the fateful day."
He said, "the factual position is Rao was not only awake, but received all calls from the then Union Home Secretary Madhav Godbole who informed him almost every half an hour after 12:30 pm on that day about gradual demolition of the mosque."
Godbole not only gave information to Rao, but also put it on record by making entries in the log book of the Ministry of Home Affairs, he said.
"It is a part of the Ayodhya records and mentioned by Godbole in his published book 'An Unfinished Innings," the former IPS officer said.
"It can be confirmed from Godbole who is still alive," he said.
Kunal said "Nayar should not have based his conclusion on the basis of hearsay, but on the statements of the persons concerned or which can be made easily available in the era of Right to Information Act."
'Rao Was Not Worshipping During Babri Demolition'
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Who Next? The Big Fear Troubling Congress After Chidambaram’s Arrest
- Chidambaram Sent To CBI Custody Till August 26 In INX Media Case
- OPINION | Puppets On A Chain, Kashmir's 'Pro-India' Parties NC, PDP Dug Their Own Grave
- India's Fresh Challenge On Kashmir: Engage With Donald Trump But Without Opening Another Front
- ISRO Releases First Image Of Moon Captured By Chandrayaan-2
- Kashmiris Are Angry, Yet They Are Calm. Why?
- Indian Armed Forces, Civilians Continue To Bleed In Internal Conflicts, But Do We Care?
- On India's 73rd Independence Day, A Letter to Pehlu Khan
- The Valley Has Fallen Into Rigor Mortis
- BBC, Northern Ireland, And Kashmir – Where Shekhar Kapur Got It Wrong
- Euphoria On Abrogation Of Article 370 Is Wearing Off, Only Time Will Tell Full Meaning Of This Move
- INX Media: The Case That Led To Chidambaram's Downfall
- Chidambaram Spends Night At CBI Headquarters Whose Inauguration He Attended In 2011
- Will Swap 100 Acres Of Land For Ravidas Temple Construction: Kejriwal After Protesters Swarm Delhi
- Badminton Worlds: Sindhu, Praneeth Enter Quarters; Srikanth, Prannoy Out
- Oil Companies Stop Fuel Supply To Air India At Six Airports Due To Non-payment Of Dues
- Live, West Indies v India, 1st Test, Day 1, Antigua
- Rajiv Gandhi Got Massive Mandate In 1984, But Didn’t Use It To Create Atmosphere Of Fear: Sonia Gandhi
- Demonising Modi All The Time Won't Help, It's Time We Recognise His Work: Jairam Ramesh