Rajiv Mathur today took over as the new Director of the Intelligence Bureau.
Mathur, a 1972 batch IPS officer of Uttar Pradesh cadre, who has served in the Intelligence Bureau for nearly three decades which included 15 years in Washington, took over at the helm of the IB from P C Haldar, who retired as its Director on December 31.
The name of Mathur, who was earlier Special Director in the IB, was cleared by the Appointments' Committee of Cabinet headed by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh in early December.
Considered an expert hand in dealing with North-east insurgencies, Mathur's appointment comes at a time when intelligence agencies in the country have come under sharp criticism for its repeated failures to stop terror strikes from across the border.
He is expected to streamline the reforms in the country's intelligence machinery to meet the challenges due to the changed tactics of elements inimical to the country.
The 59-year-old Mathur will be holding the post for two years or until fresh orders from the Government.
Rajiv Mathur Takes Over as New IB Director
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Chidambaram's Lawyer Willing To Give Undertaking That He Won't Flee, Will Cooperate
- US President Donald Trump Offers To Mediate Kashmir Issue Again, Says It's 'Complicated Place'
- Chandrayaan-2 Spacecraft Successfully Enters 2nd Lunar Orbit: ISRO
- 'Disgraceful Misuse Of Power': Rahul Gandhi Flays BJP Govt Over Action Against Chidambaram
- India’s Largest Biscuit Manufacturer Parle Says It Could Slash 10,000 Jobs: Report
- Indian Armed Forces, Civilians Continue To Bleed In Internal Conflicts, But Do We Care?
- On India's 73rd Independence Day, A Letter to Pehlu Khan
- The Valley Has Fallen Into Rigor Mortis
- BBC, Northern Ireland, And Kashmir – Where Shekhar Kapur Got It Wrong
- Euphoria On Abrogation Of Article 370 Is Wearing Off, Only Time Will Tell Full Meaning Of This Move
- The Little Sleep I Get Is Filled With Nightmares About Home: Kashmiri Living In Delhi On J&K
- CBI Books NDTV Founders Prannoy Roy, Wife And Others In FDI Violation Case
- Three Killed As Flood Relief Helicopter Crashes In Rain-Hit Uttarkashi
- LeT Militant, Police Officer Killed In Encounter In Jammu And Kashmir's Baramulla
- Virat Kohli To Wear 18 As India Gets Shirts Numbered
- Chidambaram 'Hunted Down' For Speaking Truth Inconvenient To Cowards: Priyanka Gandhi
- Public Transport Resumes In Parts Of Kashmir, Students Still Stay Away From Schools
- Former Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Babulal Gaur Passes Away At 89
- Paytm Retains Indian Cricket's Sponsorship Rights, BCCI Gets Record Hike