Rajasthan Governor Margaret Alva has sought report from the state government over a road mishap inside a tunnel here in which a 26-year old woman and her infant daughter were killed on Sunday.
"I am deeply saddened and disturbed by our response, as a society, to the unfortunate accident that claimed the lives of a mother and daughter at
'Ghat ki Guni' tunnel in Jaipur on Sunday," she said in a statement today while condoling the deaths.
"Unfortunately, the first reaction in such situations – or perhaps, most situations -- is to blame the Government. I have asked for a detailed report from the Government on the accident at
'Ghat ki Ghuni' and reason for the delay in help reaching them," Alva said.
The governor, expressing hopes that the state government will consider ways to make driving through the tunnel safer, also stressed on the need for fresh initiatives to restore the basic values of care and compassion in the society.
26-year-old woman Guddi and her eight-month-old daughter Aarushi were killed when the motorcycle they were travelling in was hit by a speeding truck inside the newly opened tunnel here on Sunday. However, the woman's husband and son escaped with minor injuries.
Police said the injured husband kept crying for help for around 40 minutes but the motorists ignored their cries and every vehicle passed by without stopping delaying prompt medical treatment.
Recalling the Delhi gang-rape incident, she said many passers-by unfortunately had also simply looked but did not stop to help a rape victim.
"It is high time that all of us- citizens, policy makers, media and intellectuals - deliberate on why we, as a society, are becoming insensitive," she pointed out.
Rajasthan Guv Seeks Report on Tunnel Mishap
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Hundreds Of Pets Abandoned In Mumbai After WHO Hoardings On COVID-19 Trigger Panic
- Hit By Coronavirus Lockdown, 90-Year-Old Kajodi Trudges Home, 400 Km Away
- Coronavirus Live Updates: 65-Yr-Old Man With Travel History To Delhi Dies In Karnataka
- RBI Reduces Key Repo Rate By 75 Basis Points To 4.4% Amid Coronavirus Lockdown
- 'No One To Sleep Hungry': Kejriwal Announces Meals For 4 Lakh People Amid Lockdown
- Dipak Misra Was Reviled As CJI But Ranjan Gogoi Beguiled His Way To Power
- Taking Up Hijab Against Coronavirus
- Seemingly Happiest People Often Suffer From Depression
- Blog | Not Music Or Art, But It's 'Fear' That Binds Us Together
- Restructuring Indian Railways’ Cadres: Is The Proposal Good For The Nation?
- In Chasing Away Maoists, Odisha's Malkangiri Village Delivers Telling Message This R-Day
- The Delhi Cop Who Looks After 350 Poor Families Amid Covid-19 Lockdown
- 'RBI Took Giant Steps To Save Economy From Coronavirus Impact': PM Modi
- Coronavirus Lockdown: Prasar Bharati To Re-run 'Ramayan' From Mar 28
- Coronavirus: Athletes Qualified For 2020 Olympics Will Keep 2021 Spots – REPORT
- UP Cops Make People Hop With Bags During Coronavirus Lockdown
- Kabul Gurdwara Attack Pak Attempt To Rupture Strong Indo-Afghan Ties
- US Has Now Most Positive Coronavirus Cases In World; Overtakes China, Italy
- Tendulkar Donates 50 Lakh To Fight COVID-19