Former Telecom Minister A Raja's erstwhile Private Secretary R K Chandolia was today imposed a fine of Rs 25,000 by the Delhi High Court for making a plea to it to summon a plethora of documents from the PMO to help him cross-examine a 2G case witness in the trial court.
Justice M L Mehta slapped the fine on Chandolia, terming his plea as "frivolous".
"The petition is nothing but a frivolous one and is designed for delaying the trial," Justice Mehta said, adding it is "misuse" of the process of law.
Chandolia had come to the high court, challenging the trial court's order, which too had dismissed his plea, while also imposing a fine of Rs 5,000 upon him.
Special Judge O P Saini, had rejected Chandolia's plea saying "the exercise of production of documents cannot be a fishing expedition. The mass of documents sought to be produced is clearly aimed to be a fishing expedition and the application is designed to waste the time of the court and delay the proceedings."
Chandolia had sought documents, which included records of the Special Protection Group at the Prime Minister's office and his residence between May 2007 and December 2008 when Raja went to meet the PM alonmg with Achary.
The lower court said "the task of procuring the records, arranging it sequentially and then producing the same in the court, on the face of it, is quite difficult and tedious" and Chandolia did not give the reasons for demanding them.
Chandolia had sought the documents saying he wanted them to cross-examine prosecution witness Raja's erstwhile Additional Private Secretary Asreevatham Achary.
Besides Raja, 16 others, including Chandolia and three private firms, are facing trial in the 2G case.
Raja's Ex-Aide Fined for Making Frivolous Petitions to HC
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Hateras And Us: Dalit Death Symptom Of Graver Malaise
- I&B Ministry Can Cancel Channel's Licence: Manish Tewari
- SRH Vs KXIP: Rashid Khan Reflects On Damage Scoreboard Pressure Can Do
- Republic TV Among 3 Channels Being Probed For TRP Manipulation: Mumbai Police
- How Ram Vilas Paswan's Death May Impact Bihar Assembly Elections
- Chennai Super Kings' Belief In Shane Watson Surreal, But That's What MS Dhoni Is All About!
- IPL 2020: KL Rahul’s Record Century, Yuzvendra Chahal’s Clever Bowling Highlights Of Week 1
- IPL 2020: Emergence Of The Team Psychologist And T20 Spinner
- IPL 2020: Expect Run Outs, Batting Collapses And Run Freeze In Initial Matches In UAE
- Woman Scribes' Rift Over Rhea Chakraborty Exposes TV-Print Divide
- Brace For Exciting England-Australia Clash As Old Enemies Meet In New World
- 13-Year-Old Girl Gang-Raped In Greater Noida, 3 Detained
- Hathras Case: Accused Claims Victim's Family Was 'Against Our Friendship'
- Former CBI Director Ashwani Kumar’s Suicide Note Hints At Depression
- French Open: Teen Sensation Swiatek Storms Into Maiden Grand Slam Final
- Farmers’ Outfits Call For Nationwide ‘Chaka Jam’ On November 3
- Poll Sop: Nitish Kumar’s Standard Operating Procedure
- Bihar Elections: Owaisi, Kushwaha Float New Front Of Six Parties
- Cricket Australia Should Not Bow Down To BCCI: Allan Border Slams CA