In a scathing attack on Mulayam Singh Yadav, Rahul Gandhi today said that Samajwadi Party supremo who claims to be a leader of Muslims should tell them what he has done for the community during his three stints as chief minister of Uttar Pradesh.
"Mulayam Singh says that 'I am a leader of Muslims'. So many of our Muslim brothers are standing here. He formed government thrice in the last 22 years. You should tell me what did he do for you," the Congress general secretary said addressing an election rally in Muslim-dominated area of Chamanganj here.
When the crowd responded with cries of "nothing, nothing", Rahul continued, "So tell me what kind of leader is he. He claims to be your leader and does nothing for you".
Taking on Yadav in the issue of subquota for minorities, Rahul said, "When Mulayam Singh was the chief minister, the media would ask him about his views on Muslim reservation, but he would remain tight-lipped.
"You will be surprised to know that the state which has over 70 districts has only one Muslim District Magistrate. Now Congress has given you reservation, so Mulayam says that he would have done more.
"I want to ask him why did he not do it when he was the chief minister thrice. Had he done anything from the Muslims, the community would not have been so backward. He took your vote but did nothing for you," Rahul said.
Accusing SP and BSP of making false promises, Rahul said, "We will not make any promise because we believe in action. The SP and BSP leaders only make promises and do little for the development of the state."
Vowing to change Uttar Pradesh in five years if the Congress comes to power, he said, "I have come here to forge a relationship. I am 41 years of age and our relationship will continue for next 20-25 years".
Rahul said that the Congress has decided to go it alone in the assembly polls as it knows that it has the support of the people of Uttar Pradesh. "They (SP) felt that Muslims were supporting Congress, so they came to us for a tie-up but we turned them down and they said 'Rahul ji you don't know much about politics'. They went and embraced Kalyan Singh.
"We fought alone and got 21 seats in 2009 and this time we are standing alone because our main aim is development of the state."
Targeting the Mayawati government, he said that the Centre had sent crores of rupees in funds for central scheme, but it was all embezzled and could not reach the common man.
"This was the money for which you gave your blood and sweat. The money was meant for MNREGA and for literacy programme but it never reached you".
Referring to Bundelkhand region, Rahul said, "Mulayam Singh says he will make Bundelkhand into another Israel. I have been to Bundelkhand. People there have no drinking water or jobs. We asked them whether they wanted the region to be another Israel, they said we only want work.
"I took them to the Prime Minister and got them a special package but Mulayam Singh and Mayawati said that I was only enacting a drama."
Listing out the steps taken by the Congress-led UPA government at the Centre, Rahul, said, "When we came to power in 2004, we realised that nothing was being done for development of the Muslim community.... We started scholarships for the children from the community. In all the states, be it Maharashtra or Kerala, it reached the people there. But did you benefit from it, I want to ask all the youths standing here".
Rahul Attacks Mulayam, Reaches Out to Muslims
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Private Traders Saw Second Wave Coming, Hoarded Oxygen But Government Didn’t
- How To Tackle Second Covid Wave: 9 Points From Opposition To Centre
- Predicting Shortage, Parliamentary Panel Had Urged Centre To Ramp Up Vaccine Production
- ‘Will Covid Vaccine Kill Or Make Me Impotent?’ Villagers Question, Say No To Vaccine
- Split Of Votes Between Congress-led Front, AJP-RD Saved BJP's Skin
- Born April 18, Died April 20: The Spectacular Fall Of European Super League And Its Aftermath
- India In England: Prithvi Shaw Unlucky, Hardik Pandya Needs To Prove All-rounder Credentials
- Online Real Money Gaming: Why Present Is Imperfect And Future Is Tense
- For IPL Organisers, Loss Of Revenue Seems More Important Than Loss Of Lives Due To COVID
- Why Should Boys Have All The Fun? Sports For One And All!
- Why Virat Kohli Is Right And ICC Wrong: A Philosopher Looks At DRS
- NC Condemns Israeli 'Atrocities' On Palestinians
- The Dravidian Wall: Patience, Experience Paid Off For DMK’s Stalin
- Modi’s War Against Covid: From ‘Timely & Tough’ to ‘Worrying’
- Column| Vaccine Patent Waiver: Responsible Play, Go With India
- Column: Some Oxygen For Siddique Kappan, Please?
- Nurses: Covid Warriors And Real Bravehearts
- Can Thakur Fill In For Pandya - India Bowling Coach Has His Say
- Saina, Srikanth's Olympic Hopes Over