A senior woman activist of NGO outfit PUCL was sent to jail by a court in Andhra Pradesh after she was arrested over her Facebook post in which some "objectionable" comments were made against Tamil Nadu Governor K Rosaiah and a Congress MLA.
Jaya Vindhayal, state general secretary of People's Union for Civil Liberties (PUCL), was remanded in 12-day judicial custody after she was produced by police before a Prakasham district magistrate at his residence last evening, police said today.
She was held by Prakasham district police from Padmarao Nagar here yesterday under section 66A of the Information Technology (IT) Act for the "objectionable" Facebook post on Rosaiah, a former AP Chief Minister, and Chirala MLA Amanchi Krishna Mohan.
"Jaya Vindhayala has been shifted to the district prison", Prakasam SP K Raghuram Reddy told PTI.
A day after her arrest, Jaya was granted bail by Chirala AMM afer she moved an application. The activist, was, however not released since she failed to provide two sureties of Rs 5,000 each as ordered by the court. She is expected to be set free tomorrow.
Police has sent a requisition to the security wing of Facebook, seeking to remove the "objectionable and defamatory" post from the public domain, he said.
It said a case was registered in this regard on April 18 following a complaint by the Chirala MLA and during the course of investigation it was found that Jaya had posted the "objectionable" comments.
Jaya Vindhayala had allegedly distributed pamphlets making objectionable allegations against Rosaiah and Krishna Mohan earlier in Chirala town in Prakasam district before posting the comments online, police added.
PUCL Leader Sent to Jail Over 'Objectionable' FB Post
THE LATEST ISSUE
- LJP Leader Ram Vilas Paswan Passes Away At The Age Of 74
- SRH Vs KXIP: Rashid Spins Hyderabad To Big Win After Warner-Bairstow Show
- Republic TV Among 3 Channels Being Probed For TRP Manipulation: Mumbai Police
- In Naveen’s Crosshairs: Vengeful Odisha Govt Goes After Leading Odia News Channel
- Victorian Ace: Dean Jones Was A True-Bred Australian Who Made Grit His Middle Name
- Chennai Super Kings' Belief In Shane Watson Surreal, But That's What MS Dhoni Is All About!
- IPL 2020: KL Rahul’s Record Century, Yuzvendra Chahal’s Clever Bowling Highlights Of Week 1
- IPL 2020: Emergence Of The Team Psychologist And T20 Spinner
- IPL 2020: Expect Run Outs, Batting Collapses And Run Freeze In Initial Matches In UAE
- Woman Scribes' Rift Over Rhea Chakraborty Exposes TV-Print Divide
- Brace For Exciting England-Australia Clash As Old Enemies Meet In New World
- Development Of Ladakh Troubles China: Anurag Thakur
- Hathras Case: Accused Claims Victim's Family Was 'Against Our Friendship'
- Former CBI Director Ashwani Kumar’s Suicide Note Hints At Depression
- French Open: Teen Sensation Swiatek Storms Into Maiden Grand Slam Final
- UP Police Violated SC Guidelines: Kerala Journalists Union
- Poll Sop: Nitish Kumar’s Standard Operating Procedure
- I Am Still A Student Of Cinema: Nawazuddin Siddiqui
- IPL 2020: Why Gayle Missed Out On Playing His First Match For KXIP