A senior woman activist of NGO outfit PUCL was sent to jail by a court in Andhra Pradesh after she was arrested over her Facebook post in which some "objectionable" comments were made against Tamil Nadu Governor K Rosaiah and a Congress MLA.
Jaya Vindhayal, state general secretary of People's Union for Civil Liberties (PUCL), was remanded in 12-day judicial custody after she was produced by police before a Prakasham district magistrate at his residence last evening, police said today.
She was held by Prakasham district police from Padmarao Nagar here yesterday under section 66A of the Information Technology (IT) Act for the "objectionable" Facebook post on Rosaiah, a former AP Chief Minister, and Chirala MLA Amanchi Krishna Mohan.
"Jaya Vindhayala has been shifted to the district prison", Prakasam SP K Raghuram Reddy told PTI.
A day after her arrest, Jaya was granted bail by Chirala AMM afer she moved an application. The activist, was, however not released since she failed to provide two sureties of Rs 5,000 each as ordered by the court. She is expected to be set free tomorrow.
Police has sent a requisition to the security wing of Facebook, seeking to remove the "objectionable and defamatory" post from the public domain, he said.
It said a case was registered in this regard on April 18 following a complaint by the Chirala MLA and during the course of investigation it was found that Jaya had posted the "objectionable" comments.
Jaya Vindhayala had allegedly distributed pamphlets making objectionable allegations against Rosaiah and Krishna Mohan earlier in Chirala town in Prakasam district before posting the comments online, police added.
PUCL Leader Sent to Jail Over 'Objectionable' FB Post
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Spilling The Beans: How Murky Was Cafe Coffee Day Founder VG Siddartha's Death
- Sindhu Smashes Okuhara, 1st Indian To Win World Badminton Title
- Arun Jaitley Cremated With State Honours At Nigambodh Ghat In Delhi
- Shashi Tharoor Pens Tribute, Says Arun Jaitley Was Every Non-BJP Person’s Favourite BJP Person
- WI Vs IND, 1st Test: Rahane, Bumrah Star As India Hammer West Indies By 318 Runs
- Kashmiris Are Angry, Yet They Are Calm. Why?
- Indian Armed Forces, Civilians Continue To Bleed In Internal Conflicts, But Do We Care?
- On India's 73rd Independence Day, A Letter to Pehlu Khan
- The Valley Has Fallen Into Rigor Mortis
- BBC, Northern Ireland, And Kashmir – Where Shekhar Kapur Got It Wrong
- Euphoria On Abrogation Of Article 370 Is Wearing Off, Only Time Will Tell Full Meaning Of This Move
- PM Modi Arrives In France For G7 Summit, Will Speak On Global Issues
- Rahul Gandhi Shares Video Of Srinagar Visit, Attacks 'Draconian Administration' Of Jammu And Kashmir
- PM Modi Gives Nationwide Call To Observe September As 'Poshan Abhiyaan' Month
- ‘We Considered Ourselves Indians... But Now Govt Has Changed Everything’
- Watch: Kashmiri Woman Meets Rahul Gandhi On Flight From Srinagar, Shares J&K's Ordeal
- 3rd Test: Ashes On Fire As ENG Level Series
- Brazil Deploys 44,000 Troops To Fight Amazon Fires Amid International Outcry
- Pakistan Says Committed To Kartarpur Corridor Despite Tense Ties With India