Despite an uneasy relationship between Congress and Y S Jaganmohan Reddy, Presidential nominee Pranab Mukherjee has reached out to the mother of the rebel leader seeking her party's support in the election but no commitment has been given.
Mukherjee, the ruling UPA's nominee, spoke to Vijayamma, mother of Jagan as well as honorary president of the fledgling YSR Congress, a few days back requesting that her party support him in the July 19 Presidential election.
"He (Pranab Mukherjee) spoke to me when I was in Vishakapatnam on a tour. He sought our party's support for his Presidential bid. We did not give any commitment to him," Vijayamma told
PTI here today.
However, she said the YSR Congress has not taken any decision on whom to support in the Presidential election as the Opposition-backed candidate P A Sangma has also approached them.
YSR Congress has 17 MLAs in the Andhra Pradesh Assembly and 2 MPs in Lok
"While Pranab called me, Sangma came home and met me. But we have not yet decided on our stand," she said.
When pressed whether the party would be more inclined to supporting Mukherjee as it would not want to side with
BJP, which is backing Sangma, she said: "There is enough time to decide on this."
Congress and YSR Congress share an uneasy relationship after Jagan quit the Congress and floated his own outfit, which is eating into his former party's vote bank.
YSR Congress swept the recent by-elections to 18 Assembly constituencies by bagging 15 seats and winning a Lok Sabha seat.
The YSR Congress aspires to rout the Congress and TDP in the 2014 Assembly elections and establish its government in Andhra
Prez Polls: Pranab Calls Jagan's Mother For Support
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Coronavirus: Cases In India Rise To 468; 19 States, UTs Under Lockdown
- Shivraj Singh Chouhan Sworn In As Madhya Pradesh CM
- All Domestic Flights Suspended From Wed To Contain Coronavirus Spread
- Loyalty Test: Time For Indian Businesses To Fund Fight Against Coronavirus
- Curfew Passes To Be Necessary For Travel Between Delhi, Neighbouring Areas
- Dipak Misra Was Reviled As CJI But Ranjan Gogoi Beguiled His Way To Power
- Taking Up Hijab Against Coronavirus
- Seemingly Happiest People Often Suffer From Depression
- Blog | Not Music Or Art, But It's 'Fear' That Binds Us Together
- Restructuring Indian Railways’ Cadres: Is The Proposal Good For The Nation?
- In Chasing Away Maoists, Odisha's Malkangiri Village Delivers Telling Message This R-Day
- Sensex Plummets 3,900 Pts, Ends Below 26,000; Nifty Inches Towards 7,500
- Vaccine Trials To Fight Coronavirus Offer Hope, Could Be Harbinger Of New Technology
- Coronavirus: Curfew Imposed In Maharashtra From Midnight, Says Uddhav
- Coronavirus: Punjab Imposes Curfew To Enforce Total Lockdown
- AIIMS To Shut Down OPD From March 24 As Coronavirus Cases Surge
- ICMR Recommends Hydroxychloroquine For Healthcare Workers Tackling Covid-19 Patients
- Coronavirus: Postponement Of Tokyo Olympics Inevitable – IOC Official
- Health Insurance Policies For Cricketers, Officials Cover COVID-19 Too: CAB