Congress in Maharashtra is making all efforts to woo the Raj Thackeray-led MNS to back UPA nominee Pranab Mukherjee for the presidential poll tomorrow.
Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan is understood to have phoned Thackeray, seeking the support of MNS, which has 12 members in the 288-member Legislative Assembly.
During his visit to Mumbai earlier this month, NDA-backed presidential candidate P A Sangma had also sought Raj Thackeray's support.
However, Congress feels it would manage to get the MNS boss' nod. Parliamentary Affairs Minister Harshwardhan Patil is holding talks with MNS leaders, sources said. The minister has also spoken to MNS MLA Bala Nandgaonkar.
Following is the party position in Assembly, where each vote has value of 175:
Congress 82, Independents (with Congress) 12, Bahujan Republican Party 1, Swabhimani Paksha 1. NCP has 62, Independents (with NCP) 11, Rashtriya Samaj Party 1, Samajwadi Party 3, Peasants and Workers Party 4, Jansurajya Party 2, CPM 1.
So, in all, 228 MLAs are with the UPA nominee.
On the other hand, Sangma is expected to get support of following members: BJP 47, Independent (Anil Gote) . Total 48.
There are altogether 48 Lok Sabha and 19 Rajya Sabha members from Maharashtra. The value of an MP's vote is 708.
Following is party position. Congress 17 LS, 6 RS: NCP 9 LS, 4 RS; Shiv Sena 11 LS, 3 RS; Bahujan Vikas Aghadi 1; Independent (Sadashiv Mandlik) 1.
So, the total votes in favour of UPA nominee are 39 Lok Sabha and 13 Rajya Sabha members.
On the other hand, Sangma is expected to get the 8 LS votes and 6 RS votes of BJP.
Swabhimani Shetkari Sanghatana member Raju Shetty is yet to announce his stance.
The voting will be held in the central hall on fourth floor of the Vidhan Bhawan building.
Prez Poll: Cong Wooing MNS to Back Pranab
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Amid Slowdown, Government Unveils Measures To Support Auto Sector, Boost Demand
- Home, Vehicle, Other Retail Loans To Become Cheaper: FM Nirmala Sitharaman
- Death By Debt: Indian Businesses Are Devastated, Tax Terror Adds To Woes
- No Less Than A Virat Kohli, True Stories Of 15 Indian Sportspersons Who Defied Death To Win Hearts
- New India Will Not Allow Loot Of Money: PM Modi To Indian Diaspora In France
- Kashmiris Are Angry, Yet They Are Calm. Why?
- Indian Armed Forces, Civilians Continue To Bleed In Internal Conflicts, But Do We Care?
- On India's 73rd Independence Day, A Letter to Pehlu Khan
- The Valley Has Fallen Into Rigor Mortis
- BBC, Northern Ireland, And Kashmir – Where Shekhar Kapur Got It Wrong
- Euphoria On Abrogation Of Article 370 Is Wearing Off, Only Time Will Tell Full Meaning Of This Move
- Enhanced Surcharge On FPIs Removed: Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman
- SC To Hear Chidambaram's Appeal Against Arrest On Monday
- FATF Asia-Pacific Group Puts Pakistan In 'Enhanced Blacklist'
- Karnataka: Political Slugfest Erupts Between Congress, JD(S) As Siddaramaiah, Deve Gowda Trade Barbs
- Sindhu Assured Of Fifth Medal At Badminton Worlds
- Ashes Live, 3rd Test: Josh Hazlewood Five-For Demolishes England For 67
- Now, Shashi Tharoor Says 'Demonising Modi Wrong'; Backs Jairam Ramesh, Singhvi
- Roti Served With Salt As Mid-Day Meal For Primary School Students In UP