Noted social worker Ela Ramesh Bhatt was today conferred the Indira Gandhi Prize for Peace, Disarmament and Development by President Pranab Mukherjee.
Bhatt, the founder of Self-Employed Women's Association, was conferred the Indira Gandhi Prize for 2011 at a function in Rashtrapati Bhawan in the presence of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Congress President Sonia Gandhi.
The Prize has been awarded to Bhatt for her lifetime achievements in comprehensively empowering women in India and elsewhere through grassroots entrepreneurship.
The Prize carries a citation and a cash award of Rs 25 lakh.
Accepting the award, she said the Prize had given her the opportunity to re-examine the ideas of what constitutes peace.
"Certainly, absence of war is not peace. Peace is what keeps war away but it is more than that; peace disarms and renders war useless. Peace is a condition enjoyed by a fair and fertile society. Peace is about restoring the balance in society; only then it is lasting peace," she said.
Bhatt cautioned against following western economic models and suggested that six basic, primary needs of a person be met from resources within 100 miles of his place of stay.
"If food, shelter, clothing, primary education, primary healthcare and primary banking are locally produced and consumed, we will have the growth of a new holistic economy, that the world will sit up and take notice" she said.
"Catching up with western economic models will turn us into incompetent followers, not leaders. But if we address the realities of our own countries, we can create a development that makes us leaders of our destiny," Bhatt said.
Prez Confers Indira Gandhi Prize for Peace on Ela Bhatt
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Hathras Case | Options Being Explored To Defend Accused: Former BJP MLA At Caste-Based Meet
- KXIP Vs CSK LIVE: Brutal From Faf, Watson; Need 23 Off 24
- Covid-19 And The Dream Of Aatma Nirbhar Bharat
- LJP Goes Solo In Bihar Polls, But Will Chirag Paswan Prove To Be The New Mausam Vaigyanik?
- Hathras Case: UP Police Lathicharges RLD Leader
- IPL 2020: KL Rahul’s Record Century, Yuzvendra Chahal’s Clever Bowling Highlights Of Week 1
- IPL 2020: Emergence Of The Team Psychologist And T20 Spinner
- IPL 2020: Expect Run Outs, Batting Collapses And Run Freeze In Initial Matches In UAE
- Woman Scribes' Rift Over Rhea Chakraborty Exposes TV-Print Divide
- Brace For Exciting England-Australia Clash As Old Enemies Meet In New World
- Sports And National Education Policy: A Flawed Understanding
- In The TIME Of Bilkis Bano As Dadi Cool
- Hathras: Chandrashekhar Meets Family
- Bihar Elections: 47 Open Grounds, 19 Halls For Public Rallies
- Pandey's Stunning Take Is A Thing Of Beauty
- PM Modi A Puppet In Hands Of Ambani-Adani: Rahul Gandhi At Tractor Rally
- Fifty Years Of Satyajit Ray's Aranyer Din Ratri
- Mission Bengal: A Saffron Experiment
- French Open: Nadal Makes Light Work Of Korda In Gusty Paris