President Pranab Mukherjee has felicitated Major Dr Surendra Poonia for winning seven medals - two Gold and five Silver - at the 33rd World Medical and Health Games in Antalya, Turkey.
Poonia was felicitated at Rashtrapati Bhavan on October 6.
He won two Gold medals in Powerlifting and 800 mt race and five Silver medals in 400 mt race, 1,500 mt race, 5,000 mt race, cross country race and Pentathlon, a Rashtrapati Bhavan spokesman said in a statement today.
Over 2,300 athletes from 47 countries participated in 22 Olympic sports in Antalya in July.
Poonia is serving as a Medical Officer in the President's Bodyguard. This is the third time that he has won medals at this international Championship.
Last year he had participated in world championship in Las Palmas, Spain and won two gold, two silver and one bronze medals.
This year, he was awarded 'Vishisht Seva Medal' by the President for outstanding performance in sports.
He is also a qualified paratrooper (123 jumps) and has served in Para Special forces in J&K and Jodhpur.
Poonia belongs to a Rajpura village in Sikar district of Rajasthan. He did schooling in Jawahar Navodaya Vidyalaya and completed his MBBS degree from the Armed Forces Medical College, Pune.
President Felicitates Maj Poonia for Winning Seven Medals
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Day Before Counting, Election Commission Rejects Opposition Demand On VVPATs
- Party Workers Keep 24-Hour Vigil Outside EVM Strongrooms Ahead Of Counting Day
- In Exit Polls Prediction, A Non-Existent AAP Candidate, 7 Seats For LJP In Bihar
- CWC 2019: There Will Be Disappointment If India Rely Too Heavily On Kohli, Warns Tendulkar
- You're Fighting For Truth, Don't Be Upset With Exit Polls: Rahul Gandhi To Party Workers
- My Vote Is For the Well-Being Of My Fellow Indians
- The Statue Went Bust
- Mayawati, Honourable Prime Minister. Why The Heartburn?
- Can India's Character As A Secular Republic Be Sustained?
- Yogi Deveshwar: Corporate Honcho Whose Touch Gave Wings to Air India, High Flight To ITC
- How WhatsApp Saved The Day For A Cyclone Fani-Hit Journo In Odisha
- Govt Clears Names Of Four Judges For Elevation, SC To Get Full Strength Of 31: Report
- 'Sour Losers': Paswan Slams Opposition For 'Desperation' Over VVPAT Issue
- Rahul Gandhi vs Smriti Irani, Modi vs Ajay Rai, Rajnath vs Poonam Sinha: Key Contests In UP
- In Parts Of Odisha, Cylone Fani-Affected People Forced To Repay Loans
- At NDA Meet, PM Modi Expresses Concern Over 'Needless Controversy' On EVMs
- 'Why Can't All VVPATs Be Verified, Is SC Also Involved in Rigging', Asks Udit Raj
- EC Wants To Set New Precedent Of 'Dark Secrets', 'Secluded Chambers': Congress
- Newly-elected Members Of Lok Sabha Not To Stay In Hotels: LS Secretary General