Yesteryear actor Waheeda Rahman, singer S P Balasubrahmanyam, music composer Khayyam, former diplomat Brajesh Mishra and pioneer of the test tube baby in India Indira Hinduja were among a host of distinguished people conferred with the coveted Padma awards here this evening.
President Pratibha Patil gave away the Padma awards at a function attended by Vice President Hamid Ansari, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, UPA chairperson Sonia Gandhi, several Union Ministers and and a host of dignitaries at the majestic Ashoka Hall of Rashtrapati Bhawan.
Former Governor A R Kidwai, litterateur O N V Kurup, Brajesh Mishra and eminent scholar Kapila Vatsyayan were conferred with the Padma Vibhushan, the country's second highest civilian award.
Singer S P Balasubrahmanyam, former bureaucrat Mahesh Nikanth Buch, Bharatnatyam exponent C V Chandrasekhar, actor Waheeda Rahman, industrialist Y C Deveshwar, prolific Bangla writer Sankha Ghosh, kathakali dancer Madavoor Vasudevan Nair, senior scientist S Ramachandran, social worker Shobhana Ranade were among the Padma Bhushan awardees.
Entrepreneurs G V K Reddy and Analjit Singh, former civil servant Surendra Singh, legendary Carnatic music exponent Rudrapatna Krishna Sastry Srikantan and music composer Khyyam were the other Padma Bhushan awardees honoured today.
Ayurveda practitioner K Raghavan Thirumulpad was conferred the Padma Bhushan posthumously. His son received the award.
Among the Padma Shri awardees were philanthropist Mamraj Agarwala, educationist Rafeeque Ahmed Mecca, space scientist M Annamalai, social worker Jockin Aruptham, health activist Pukhraj Bafna, pioneer of the Lasik eye surgery Mani Bhaumik, publisher of women's writing Urvashi Butalia, popular classical vocalist Ajoy Chakravarthy.
Social activist Nomita Shipra Chandy, theatre artist Neelam Mansingh Chowdhry, creative writer Pravin Darji, Rajasthani poet and critic Chandra Prakash Deval, distinguished Madhubani painter Mahasundari Devi, weightlifter N Kunjarani Devi, eminent archaeologist Madhukar Dhavlikar, innovative handloom weaver Ganjam Govardhana were also among the Padma Shri awardees.
Noted cardiologist Mansoor Hassan, famous obstetrician and gynaecologist Indira Hinduja, film maker Shaji Neelakanthan Karun, prominent Indian community leader in Singapore Sat Pal Khattar, Urdu poet Balraj Komal, ace wrestler Sushil Kumar, veteran educationist Rajni Kumar, cricketer V V S Laxman, parajumper Shital Mahajan, promoter of ecofriendly farming M H Mehta, physician-turned-entrepreneur M Azad Moopen were also conferred the Padma Shri.
Among the other Padma Shri awardees were orthopaedic surgeon Shyama Prasad Mandal, poet-novelist Prof Bhalchandra Nemade, cardiothoracic surgeon Jose Chacko Periappuram, Indologist Karl Harrington Potter, puppeteer Dadi Dorab Pudumjee, educationist Riaz Punjabi, academic scholar Konery Ramakrishna Rao, renowned Bharatnatyam guru M K Saroja, tiger conservationist P K Sen, conservator of medicinal plants Anant Darshan Shankar, Pena music exponent Khangembam Mangi Singh, actor Jayaram Subramanian, actor Tabu and folk singer Prahlad Singh Tipaniya were among the Padma Shri awardees.
Shanthi Teresa Lakra, a nurse who had devoted her life to the service of the primitive and endangered tribes in Andaman and Nicobar islands was also awarded the Padma Shri.
President Confers Padma Awards
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Indra Gupta, The Sarkari Doctor Aspiring To Keep Jaipur In The Pink Of Health
- Stay Wherever You Are To Stop Coronavirus From Spreading: PM's Message To Country
- 'Don't Panic,' Sonia Gandhi Tells People, Suggests PM Annouce Sector-Wise Relief Package
- The Viral Learning Curve: Universities And Classes In The Time Of Corona
- Coronavirus: Cases In India Rise To 283; Amid Fear, Country To Observe 'Janata Curfew' Tomorrow
- Dipak Misra Was Reviled As CJI But Ranjan Gogoi Beguiled His Way To Power
- Taking Up Hijab Against Coronavirus
- Seemingly Happiest People Often Suffer From Depression
- Blog | Not Music Or Art, But It's 'Fear' That Binds Us Together
- Restructuring Indian Railways’ Cadres: Is The Proposal Good For The Nation?
- In Chasing Away Maoists, Odisha's Malkangiri Village Delivers Telling Message This R-Day
- Vasundhara Raje, Who Attended Party With Kanika Kapoor, Tests Negative For Coronavirus
- Coronavirus: UP Govt To Give Rs 1,000 To Daily Wage Labourers, Construction Workers
- MP: 22 Rebel Congress MLAs Join BJP; Scindia Says Everyone Will Get Tickets
- Clapping Won't Help, Country Needs Economic Package: Rahul's Jibe At PM Modi
- Some To Protest From Balconies Against NRC, CAA During Janta Curfew
- Coronavirus: SC Lawyer Bodies Appeal To CJI To Declare Holidays For 2-4 Weeks
- Mary Kom Breaks Quarantine Protocol Amid Coronavirus Scare
- Coronavirus Grows, As Do Questions: Will The Tokyo Olympics Open?