Yesteryear actor Waheeda Rahman, singer S P Balasubrahmanyam, music composer Khayyam, former diplomat Brajesh Mishra and pioneer of the test tube baby in India Indira Hinduja were among a host of distinguished people conferred with the coveted Padma awards here this evening.
President Pratibha Patil gave away the Padma awards at a function attended by Vice President Hamid Ansari, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, UPA chairperson Sonia Gandhi, several Union Ministers and and a host of dignitaries at the majestic Ashoka Hall of Rashtrapati Bhawan.
Former Governor A R Kidwai, litterateur O N V Kurup, Brajesh Mishra and eminent scholar Kapila Vatsyayan were conferred with the Padma Vibhushan, the country's second highest civilian award.
Singer S P Balasubrahmanyam, former bureaucrat Mahesh Nikanth Buch, Bharatnatyam exponent C V Chandrasekhar, actor Waheeda Rahman, industrialist Y C Deveshwar, prolific Bangla writer Sankha Ghosh, kathakali dancer Madavoor Vasudevan Nair, senior scientist S Ramachandran, social worker Shobhana Ranade were among the Padma Bhushan awardees.
Entrepreneurs G V K Reddy and Analjit Singh, former civil servant Surendra Singh, legendary Carnatic music exponent Rudrapatna Krishna Sastry Srikantan and music composer Khyyam were the other Padma Bhushan awardees honoured today.
Ayurveda practitioner K Raghavan Thirumulpad was conferred the Padma Bhushan posthumously. His son received the award.
Among the Padma Shri awardees were philanthropist Mamraj Agarwala, educationist Rafeeque Ahmed Mecca, space scientist M Annamalai, social worker Jockin Aruptham, health activist Pukhraj Bafna, pioneer of the Lasik eye surgery Mani Bhaumik, publisher of women's writing Urvashi Butalia, popular classical vocalist Ajoy Chakravarthy.
Social activist Nomita Shipra Chandy, theatre artist Neelam Mansingh Chowdhry, creative writer Pravin Darji, Rajasthani poet and critic Chandra Prakash Deval, distinguished Madhubani painter Mahasundari Devi, weightlifter N Kunjarani Devi, eminent archaeologist Madhukar Dhavlikar, innovative handloom weaver Ganjam Govardhana were also among the Padma Shri awardees.
Noted cardiologist Mansoor Hassan, famous obstetrician and gynaecologist Indira Hinduja, film maker Shaji Neelakanthan Karun, prominent Indian community leader in Singapore Sat Pal Khattar, Urdu poet Balraj Komal, ace wrestler Sushil Kumar, veteran educationist Rajni Kumar, cricketer V V S Laxman, parajumper Shital Mahajan, promoter of ecofriendly farming M H Mehta, physician-turned-entrepreneur M Azad Moopen were also conferred the Padma Shri.
Among the other Padma Shri awardees were orthopaedic surgeon Shyama Prasad Mandal, poet-novelist Prof Bhalchandra Nemade, cardiothoracic surgeon Jose Chacko Periappuram, Indologist Karl Harrington Potter, puppeteer Dadi Dorab Pudumjee, educationist Riaz Punjabi, academic scholar Konery Ramakrishna Rao, renowned Bharatnatyam guru M K Saroja, tiger conservationist P K Sen, conservator of medicinal plants Anant Darshan Shankar, Pena music exponent Khangembam Mangi Singh, actor Jayaram Subramanian, actor Tabu and folk singer Prahlad Singh Tipaniya were among the Padma Shri awardees.
Shanthi Teresa Lakra, a nurse who had devoted her life to the service of the primitive and endangered tribes in Andaman and Nicobar islands was also awarded the Padma Shri.
President Confers Padma Awards
THE LATEST ISSUE
- As Assam CM, Himanta Biswa Sarma Finally Lives His Dream
- Lockdown In Delhi Extended Till May 17: Arvind Kejriwal
- ‘I Would Like To Play Women Who Are Irresponsible': Konkona Sen
- 'Have Lost Courage’: YouTuber Rahul Vohra Dies Hours After Predicting His Death On Facebook
- Tamil Nadu's New Health Minister MA Subramanian Is Also A Marathon Runner
- India In England: Prithvi Shaw Unlucky, Hardik Pandya Needs To Prove All-rounder Credentials
- Online Real Money Gaming: Why Present Is Imperfect And Future Is Tense
- For IPL Organisers, Loss Of Revenue Seems More Important Than Loss Of Lives Due To COVID
- Why Should Boys Have All The Fun? Sports For One And All!
- Why Virat Kohli Is Right And ICC Wrong: A Philosopher Looks At DRS
- Led By Debutants Why Indian Cricket Is On Top Of The World
- Cong Leader Mallikarjun Kharge Urges PM Modi To Hold All-Party Meeting
- Talks For National Alliance Of Opposition Parties To Start Soon: Raut
- As India Battles The Virus, Let Us Not Weaken National Resolve
- Sikh Body Provides Oxygen Concentrators To Covid Patients
- Youth Congress President Steps Into Sonu Sood’s Shoes
- How India’s Top Sports Institution Let Covid Breach Elite Training Camps
- Lewis Hamilton Wins Record-equalling Sixth Spanish Grand Prix
- Remainder Of IPL 2021 Can't Happen In India, Says Sourav Ganguly