Yesteryear actor Waheeda Rahman, singer S P Balasubrahmanyam, music composer Khayyam, former diplomat Brajesh Mishra and pioneer of the test tube baby in India Indira Hinduja were among a host of distinguished people conferred with the coveted Padma awards here this evening.
President Pratibha Patil gave away the Padma awards at a function attended by Vice President Hamid Ansari, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, UPA chairperson Sonia Gandhi, several Union Ministers and and a host of dignitaries at the majestic Ashoka Hall of Rashtrapati Bhawan.
Former Governor A R Kidwai, litterateur O N V Kurup, Brajesh Mishra and eminent scholar Kapila Vatsyayan were conferred with the Padma Vibhushan, the country's second highest civilian award.
Singer S P Balasubrahmanyam, former bureaucrat Mahesh Nikanth Buch, Bharatnatyam exponent C V Chandrasekhar, actor Waheeda Rahman, industrialist Y C Deveshwar, prolific Bangla writer Sankha Ghosh, kathakali dancer Madavoor Vasudevan Nair, senior scientist S Ramachandran, social worker Shobhana Ranade were among the Padma Bhushan awardees.
Entrepreneurs G V K Reddy and Analjit Singh, former civil servant Surendra Singh, legendary Carnatic music exponent Rudrapatna Krishna Sastry Srikantan and music composer Khyyam were the other Padma Bhushan awardees honoured today.
Ayurveda practitioner K Raghavan Thirumulpad was conferred the Padma Bhushan posthumously. His son received the award.
Among the Padma Shri awardees were philanthropist Mamraj Agarwala, educationist Rafeeque Ahmed Mecca, space scientist M Annamalai, social worker Jockin Aruptham, health activist Pukhraj Bafna, pioneer of the Lasik eye surgery Mani Bhaumik, publisher of women's writing Urvashi Butalia, popular classical vocalist Ajoy Chakravarthy.
Social activist Nomita Shipra Chandy, theatre artist Neelam Mansingh Chowdhry, creative writer Pravin Darji, Rajasthani poet and critic Chandra Prakash Deval, distinguished Madhubani painter Mahasundari Devi, weightlifter N Kunjarani Devi, eminent archaeologist Madhukar Dhavlikar, innovative handloom weaver Ganjam Govardhana were also among the Padma Shri awardees.
Noted cardiologist Mansoor Hassan, famous obstetrician and gynaecologist Indira Hinduja, film maker Shaji Neelakanthan Karun, prominent Indian community leader in Singapore Sat Pal Khattar, Urdu poet Balraj Komal, ace wrestler Sushil Kumar, veteran educationist Rajni Kumar, cricketer V V S Laxman, parajumper Shital Mahajan, promoter of ecofriendly farming M H Mehta, physician-turned-entrepreneur M Azad Moopen were also conferred the Padma Shri.
Among the other Padma Shri awardees were orthopaedic surgeon Shyama Prasad Mandal, poet-novelist Prof Bhalchandra Nemade, cardiothoracic surgeon Jose Chacko Periappuram, Indologist Karl Harrington Potter, puppeteer Dadi Dorab Pudumjee, educationist Riaz Punjabi, academic scholar Konery Ramakrishna Rao, renowned Bharatnatyam guru M K Saroja, tiger conservationist P K Sen, conservator of medicinal plants Anant Darshan Shankar, Pena music exponent Khangembam Mangi Singh, actor Jayaram Subramanian, actor Tabu and folk singer Prahlad Singh Tipaniya were among the Padma Shri awardees.
Shanthi Teresa Lakra, a nurse who had devoted her life to the service of the primitive and endangered tribes in Andaman and Nicobar islands was also awarded the Padma Shri.
President Confers Padma Awards
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Arun Jaitley, Former Union Minister And Senior BJP Leader, Dies At 66
- BJP Stalwart Arun Jaitley To Be Cremated At Nigambodh Ghat Today, Leaders Pay Last Respects
- BJP's Indispensable Man, A Raconteur And Mentor: Arun Jaitley Was All These And Much More
- How Arun Jaitley Played A Key Role In Making Nitish Kumar The Bihar CM
- PM Modi Meets Bahraini Crown Prince, Conferred 'The King Hamad Order Of The Renaissance'
- Kashmiris Are Angry, Yet They Are Calm. Why?
- Indian Armed Forces, Civilians Continue To Bleed In Internal Conflicts, But Do We Care?
- On India's 73rd Independence Day, A Letter to Pehlu Khan
- The Valley Has Fallen Into Rigor Mortis
- BBC, Northern Ireland, And Kashmir – Where Shekhar Kapur Got It Wrong
- Euphoria On Abrogation Of Article 370 Is Wearing Off, Only Time Will Tell Full Meaning Of This Move
- 'What Is Modi Govt Trying To Hide?' Says Congress After Rahul Gandhi-Led Delegation Denied Entry In J&K
- 'Political Giant, Towering Intellectual, Legal Luminary': PM Modi's Tribute To Arun Jaitley
- Naresh Goyal Created Tax Evading Schemes To Siphon Off Funds Abroad: ED
- 1st Test, Day 3: Rahane Takes IND To Commanding Position Over WI
- India Has Lost An Outstanding Parliamentarian: Ex-PM Manmohan Singh Condoles Arun Jaitley's Death
- Durand Cup Final: Vicuna Blames Refereeing For MB's Loss To GKFC
- MSD: Three Musketeers Who Engineered Kashmir's Bloodless Coup, But Are Their Plans Sustainable?
- UAE's Highest Civilian Award For Modi, Egg On Pakistan's Face