Senior Congress leader and Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee today resigned as chief of party's West Bengal unit citing "heavy government responsibilities" and CLP leader Manas Ranjan Bhunia was appointed to the post by Sonia Gandhi.
The appointment of Bhunia, a close associate of Mukherjee, comes after Congress' poor performance in the recent local body elections where ally Trinamool Congress emerged as the biggest gainer after contesting on its own.
Mukherjee, 75, who has held the post for the last nine years, had been for quite sometime impressing upon the leadership to have a "full-time" president in view of the assembly polls next year. He again pressed for it after the local body elections.
"Subsequent upon the decision of Pranab Mukherjee to resign from the post of president of West Bengal PCC due to his heavy responsibilities in the government, Congress president Sonia Gandhi has accepted the proposal for appointing Manas Ranjan Bhunia," party general secretary Janardhan Dwivedi said.
Bhunia's appointment as a new president of WBPCC will be with immediate effect, he said.
Bhunia, who is Congress Legislature Party leader, said as WBPCC chief he would work hard to strengthen the party in the state and its alliance with the Trinamool Congress.
Congress insiders said that the job is cut out for Bhunia, with a section insisting that an alliance with the Trinamool should only be on "honourable terms".
"I will try my level best to make the party strong in Bengal. If the party is weak, our alliance with Trinamool Congress will also get weakened. So we have to make both the party and the alliance much stronger to oust CPI(M)-led Left Front from power," Bhunia told PTI.
The announcement comes a day after Mukherjee held long parleys over dinner with Trinamool chief Mamata Banerjee.
In a guarded reaction to the change of guard in the West Bengal Congress, the Trinamool Congress said it was an internal matter of the Congress.
"It is the decision of the Congress to appoint Bhunia as the president of the state party," Trinamool leader Partha Chatterjee said.
The name of Pradip Bhattacharya, another close associate of Mukherjee who is also the working president of West Bengal Congress, was also doing rounds, but the high command chose Bhunia for the post.
"I congratulate him (Bhunia) and assure him that he will get all co-operation from me in the running of the party," Bhattacharya said.
"Inspite of so many odds I have never left the party. And I will continue to remain in the party," he said.
Bhunia, who will be meeting Gandhi and other leaders here tomorrow, thanked the Congress president and senior leaders including Mukherjee whom he described as the party's guardian in West Bengal, and said it was a big responsibility entrusted on him.
Pranab Mukherjee Quits as Bengal State Unit Chief
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Bhima-Koregaon Case: 84-Year-Old Activist Stan Swamy Sent To Judicial Custody Till Oct 23
- RR Vs DC: Hetmyer Stars For Delhi In Big Win
- Hateras And Us: Dalit Death Symptom Of Graver Malaise
- Lalu Yadav Will Not Be Able To Campaign In Bihar Polls Despite Getting Bail
- If There’s Evidence Of TRP Manipulations, I&B Ministry Can Cancel Channel's Licence: Manish Tewari
- Chennai Super Kings' Belief In Shane Watson Surreal, But That's What MS Dhoni Is All About!
- IPL 2020: KL Rahul’s Record Century, Yuzvendra Chahal’s Clever Bowling Highlights Of Week 1
- IPL 2020: Emergence Of The Team Psychologist And T20 Spinner
- IPL 2020: Expect Run Outs, Batting Collapses And Run Freeze In Initial Matches In UAE
- Woman Scribes' Rift Over Rhea Chakraborty Exposes TV-Print Divide
- Brace For Exciting England-Australia Clash As Old Enemies Meet In New World
- Dhoni's Daughter Ziva Gets Rape Threats After CSK's Poor Performance
- ‘Journalism In Ladakh Is Growing’, Says New Head Of Leh's Press Club
- End Of An Era: Amul Pays Tribute To Mumbai’s Premier Padmini Taxis
- Staff Crunch Halts Airing Of Modi's Mann Ki Baat In 10 Countries
- Rs 10 Crore Fine Ready, Sasikala May Walk Out Of Jail Any Time Now: Lawyer
- India Test-Fires Its First Anti-Radiation Missile 'Rudram-1'
- Use Of IoT In Supply Chain Will Bring Down Product Cost: NASSCOM
- ISL: East Bengal Appoint Liverpool Legend Robbie Fowler As Head Coach