Activist Swami Agnivesh today demanded that a fast track court be handed over the case of alleged role of accused Pragya Thakur in Malegon blasts.
Agnivesh said he met Thakur in Bhopal Jail in the presence of Deputy Superintendent (Jail) for about 90 minutes and claimed that Thakur is ready to "fully cooperate" with all investigations into the case.
He said during the meeting she expressed her desire for a fast track court to decide on the case.
Thakur is one of the accused in the Malegaon blasts case of September 29, 2008, in which six persons were killed and 100 others injured.
Maharashtra Police has filed a chargesheet in 2009 alleging that Lt Col Prasad Purohit was the main conspirator who provided the explosives and Pragya arranged for persons who planted the explosives.
"She told me that she is ready to fully cooperate with all investigations and she stands firm on statements given to Anti-Terrorism Squad," Agnivesh told PTI.
He said she was suffering from breast cancer and that she had sought bail eight months ago through lawyer Mahesh Jethmalani.
He claimed that the hearing on the issue is adjourned and is being delayed beyond a point.
"I was there not much to find out about the case but more on human rights aspect whether she deserves bail. Personally, I believe that she should be granted bail. Not allow any further adjournments," he said.
He also claimed that she told him that she was subjected to third degree torture earlier and that her three vertebra were damaged leading to a paralytic stroke.
Asked whether he felt that Thakur was innocent, he said, "I don't have any comment on that. She is saying she is ready for any sort of punishment. Let the judgement be quick. That is what I appreciate."
On his meeting with Thakur, he said, he had similar meetings with Maoists in Tihar and Raipur jails.
"Similarly, purely on human rights aspect, I met her. I had read in newspapers about her condition," he said.
Pragya Thakur Should Be Given a Speedy Trial: Agnivesh
THE LATEST ISSUE
- How Priyanka Gandhi Threw A Scrumptious Varanasi Nugget, And How The Media Lapped It Up!
- Cyclone Warning In Bay Of Bengal, Tamil Nadu, Kerala On Alert
- Life In An Indian Prison: When Darkness Falls, Tears Are Not Enough
- PM Narendra Modi Holds Roadshow In Varanasi, Performs Ganga Aarti
- IPL 2019, KKR Vs RR: Archer, Parag Star In Rajasthan's Win Over Kolkata
- Modi The Man, Made For The Camera
- In Politics, Sunny Deol Will Have To Wait For Taarikh After Taarikh To Get Things Done
- Leaders Know Political Rhetoric Needs To Be Entertaining, Otherwise Rallies Are Boring
- Chennai’s Famous Historian S. Muthiah Is No More
- 'Let's Ask The Congress Spokesperson...Wait, Where's The Congress Spokesperson? We Just Lost The Link'
- Why NaMo TV Should Not Be Banned
- Rahul Gandhi Says There Will Be No Injustice In Hindustan Under Congress
- Sri Lanka's Defence Secretary Resigns Over Easter Bombings
- Rupee Dives To 6-week Low As Crude Spikes Above $75 Per Barrel; Loses 39 Paise Vs USD
- SC Judge Recuses From Panel Looking Into Sexual Harassment Allegations Against CJI
- Pragya Used To Carry Knife, Stabbed A Man, Says Chhattisgarh CM
- We Will Send Them To Desert And See How They Send Us To Pakistan: Kushwaha On BJP
- WATCH: Animated Send-Off From Virat Kohli Leaves R Ashwin Fuming
- AAP Releases LS Poll Manifesto, Says Will Fight For Delhi's Full Statehood