Activist Swami Agnivesh today demanded that a fast track court be handed over the case of alleged role of accused Pragya Thakur in Malegon blasts.
Agnivesh said he met Thakur in Bhopal Jail in the presence of Deputy Superintendent (Jail) for about 90 minutes and claimed that Thakur is ready to "fully cooperate" with all investigations into the case.
He said during the meeting she expressed her desire for a fast track court to decide on the case.
Thakur is one of the accused in the Malegaon blasts case of September 29, 2008, in which six persons were killed and 100 others injured.
Maharashtra Police has filed a chargesheet in 2009 alleging that Lt Col Prasad Purohit was the main conspirator who provided the explosives and Pragya arranged for persons who planted the explosives.
"She told me that she is ready to fully cooperate with all investigations and she stands firm on statements given to Anti-Terrorism Squad," Agnivesh told PTI.
He said she was suffering from breast cancer and that she had sought bail eight months ago through lawyer Mahesh Jethmalani.
He claimed that the hearing on the issue is adjourned and is being delayed beyond a point.
"I was there not much to find out about the case but more on human rights aspect whether she deserves bail. Personally, I believe that she should be granted bail. Not allow any further adjournments," he said.
He also claimed that she told him that she was subjected to third degree torture earlier and that her three vertebra were damaged leading to a paralytic stroke.
Asked whether he felt that Thakur was innocent, he said, "I don't have any comment on that. She is saying she is ready for any sort of punishment. Let the judgement be quick. That is what I appreciate."
On his meeting with Thakur, he said, he had similar meetings with Maoists in Tihar and Raipur jails.
"Similarly, purely on human rights aspect, I met her. I had read in newspapers about her condition," he said.
Pragya Thakur Should Be Given a Speedy Trial: Agnivesh
THE LATEST ISSUE
- No Relief For Chidambaram As SC Refuses Urgent Hearing, ED Issues Lookout Notice
- US President Donald Trump Offers To Mediate Kashmir Issue Again, Says It's 'Complicated Place'
- Chandrayaan-2 Spacecraft Successfully Enters 2nd Lunar Orbit: ISRO
- 'Disgraceful Misuse Of Power': Rahul Gandhi Flays BJP Govt Over Action Against Chidambaram
- India’s Largest Biscuit Manufacturer Parle Says It Could Slash 10,000 Jobs: Report
- Indian Armed Forces, Civilians Continue To Bleed In Internal Conflicts, But Do We Care?
- On India's 73rd Independence Day, A Letter to Pehlu Khan
- The Valley Has Fallen Into Rigor Mortis
- BBC, Northern Ireland, And Kashmir – Where Shekhar Kapur Got It Wrong
- Euphoria On Abrogation Of Article 370 Is Wearing Off, Only Time Will Tell Full Meaning Of This Move
- The Little Sleep I Get Is Filled With Nightmares About Home: Kashmiri Living In Delhi On J&K
- CBI Books NDTV Founders Prannoy Roy, Wife And Others In FDI Violation Case
- Three Killed As Flood Relief Helicopter Crashes In Rain-Hit Uttarkashi
- LeT Militant, Police Officer Killed In Encounter In Jammu And Kashmir's Baramulla
- Virat Kohli To Wear 18 As India Gets Shirts Numbered
- Chidambaram 'Hunted Down' For Speaking Truth Inconvenient To Cowards: Priyanka Gandhi
- Public Transport Resumes In Parts Of Kashmir, Students Still Stay Away From Schools
- Former Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Babulal Gaur Passes Away At 89
- Paytm Retains Indian Cricket's Sponsorship Rights, BCCI Gets Record Hike