Declaring that the government is committed to decriminalizing the electoral system, Law Minister Salman Khurshid today said far-reaching electoral reforms are on the anvil after the coming Assembly polls.
"The Chief Election Commissioner is asking the government to step in to clean up the system....We will do so as soon as the elections in five states are over", he told reporters.
He said the Government was committed to decriminalising the system at a time when Indian politics is passing through a "difficult times".
Noting that the government was so far "preoccupied" with the Lokpal Bill, Khurshid hoped that Prime Minister Manmohan Singh would get the support of all in the task of electoral reforms.
The minister's statement comes close on the heels of the Chief Election Commissioner S Y Quraishi's remarks that government may not have been able to table a bill on electoral reforms in the just-concluded session of Parliament, due to its pre-occupation with other issues he expected the law ministry to keep its promise in the next session.
On the controversy over the admission of controversial former U P Minister Babu Singh Kushwaha by the BJP, he said that the Congress was doing its best to try to avoid any such mistakes.
"Given the ground realities, it is an absolute minefield there. We are doing our best that we do not step on a minefield".
Poll Reforms After Assembly Elections: Khurshid
THE LATEST ISSUE
- How Vaccines Work And React On Different Body Types
- Bihar: 71 Corpses Recovered From Ganga
- 26 Covid Patients Die At Goa Govt Hospital
- Bengal Polls: Widespread Fear Of BJP's Agenda Torpedoed Its Chances
- China’s Wolf Warrior Warns Bangladesh Against Joining The Quad
- Born April 18, Died April 20: The Spectacular Fall Of European Super League And Its Aftermath
- India In England: Prithvi Shaw Unlucky, Hardik Pandya Needs To Prove All-rounder Credentials
- Online Real Money Gaming: Why Present Is Imperfect And Future Is Tense
- For IPL Organisers, Loss Of Revenue Seems More Important Than Loss Of Lives Due To COVID
- Why Should Boys Have All The Fun? Sports For One And All!
- Why Virat Kohli Is Right And ICC Wrong: A Philosopher Looks At DRS
- Paradigm Shift: Punjab Farmers Welcome Direct Payment System
- 32-Year-Old Garbage Collector Who Skipped Jab, Dies Of Covid In Shimla
- What Is Mucormycosis?
- AMU Doctor Dies Of Covid, Toll Of Staff Succumbing To Virus Rises To 35
- Payworld To Assist Rural Folks With Covid Vaccine Registration
- Assam Gets Its First Woman Finance Minister As Sarma Distributes Portfolios
- Why Team India Will Take Covishield?
- Sania Mirza's Fight With Depression