Declaring that the government is committed to decriminalizing the electoral system, Law Minister Salman Khurshid today said far-reaching electoral reforms are on the anvil after the coming Assembly polls.
"The Chief Election Commissioner is asking the government to step in to clean up the system....We will do so as soon as the elections in five states are over", he told reporters.
He said the Government was committed to decriminalising the system at a time when Indian politics is passing through a "difficult times".
Noting that the government was so far "preoccupied" with the Lokpal Bill, Khurshid hoped that Prime Minister Manmohan Singh would get the support of all in the task of electoral reforms.
The minister's statement comes close on the heels of the Chief Election Commissioner S Y Quraishi's remarks that government may not have been able to table a bill on electoral reforms in the just-concluded session of Parliament, due to its pre-occupation with other issues he expected the law ministry to keep its promise in the next session.
On the controversy over the admission of controversial former U P Minister Babu Singh Kushwaha by the BJP, he said that the Congress was doing its best to try to avoid any such mistakes.
"Given the ground realities, it is an absolute minefield there. We are doing our best that we do not step on a minefield".
Poll Reforms After Assembly Elections: Khurshid
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Mehbooba Mufti To Attend Meeting Of Gupkar Declaration Signatories
- DC Vs RR: Delhi Choke Rajasthan After Dhawan, Iyer Fifties
- SP Leader Mulayam Singh Yadav Tests COVID Positive
- Shotgun's Actor-Son Luv Sinha To Contest From Patna On Congress Ticket
- The Silence Of The Dalit Politician
- Chennai Super Kings' Belief In Shane Watson Surreal, But That's What MS Dhoni Is All About!
- IPL 2020: KL Rahul’s Record Century, Yuzvendra Chahal’s Clever Bowling Highlights Of Week 1
- IPL 2020: Emergence Of The Team Psychologist And T20 Spinner
- IPL 2020: Expect Run Outs, Batting Collapses And Run Freeze In Initial Matches In UAE
- Woman Scribes' Rift Over Rhea Chakraborty Exposes TV-Print Divide
- Brace For Exciting England-Australia Clash As Old Enemies Meet In New World
- Nortje Bowls Fastest Delivery In IPL
- 'When We Return To Power, Will Put Back Sonia's Plaque At Tunnel'
- 15 Die As Heavy Rains Lash Hyderabad; People Asked To Stay Indoors
- Himachal Speaker Tests COVID-19 Positive
- We Are Looking At Various Promotions To Attract Viewers: Sanjeev Bijli Of PVR
- Apple Launches New iPhone 12 Series, To Be Shipped Without Adapters
- Old Law Machine Seeks A New Engine
- Kagiso Rabada Reserves Special Praise For Debutant Tushar Deshpande