Eminent political scientist, writer and foreign affairs commentator Bhabani Sen Gupta died here today of prolonged illness.
The veteran scholar breathed his last at the Apollo Hospital early this morning, his family said. He was 89.
Professor Sen Gupta is survived by his son Shivaji Sengupta, daughter Sree Sengupta, daughter-in-law Susmita Sengupta, and seven grandchildren.
A respected and influential political commentator on international affairs, most notably on Southeast Asia and Indo-American relations, Sen Gupta authored over 15 books in English.
His books included analysis on Afghanistan, the Soviet era and on the regional issues in South Asia. Some of his notable works are The Fulcrum of Asia: Relations among China, India, Pakistan, and the USSR, The Gorbachev Factor in World Affairs: An Indian Interpretation, Communism in Indian Politics, and Afghanistan: Politics, Economics, and Society Revolution, Resistance, Intervention among others.
Sen Gupta, also known as Chanakya Sen, was also a prolific writer in Bengali and some of his more famous books include Rajpath-Janapath, Mukhyo Mantri, and She Nohi She Noni.
His family and friends would assemble on January 22 at Chittaranjan Bhavan to remember him, the family members said.
Political Commentator Bhabani Sen Gupta Dead
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Spilling The Beans: How Murky Was Cafe Coffee Day Founder VG Siddartha's Death
- Sindhu Smashes Okuhara, 1st Indian To Win World Badminton Title
- Arun Jaitley Cremated With State Honours At Nigambodh Ghat In Delhi
- Shashi Tharoor Pens Tribute, Says Arun Jaitley Was Every Non-BJP Person’s Favourite BJP Person
- WI Vs IND, 1st Test: Rahane, Bumrah Star As India Hammer West Indies By 318 Runs
- Kashmiris Are Angry, Yet They Are Calm. Why?
- Indian Armed Forces, Civilians Continue To Bleed In Internal Conflicts, But Do We Care?
- On India's 73rd Independence Day, A Letter to Pehlu Khan
- The Valley Has Fallen Into Rigor Mortis
- BBC, Northern Ireland, And Kashmir – Where Shekhar Kapur Got It Wrong
- Euphoria On Abrogation Of Article 370 Is Wearing Off, Only Time Will Tell Full Meaning Of This Move
- PM Modi Arrives In France For G7 Summit, Will Speak On Global Issues
- Rahul Gandhi Shares Video Of Srinagar Visit, Attacks 'Draconian Administration' Of Jammu And Kashmir
- PM Modi Gives Nationwide Call To Observe September As 'Poshan Abhiyaan' Month
- ‘We Considered Ourselves Indians... But Now Govt Has Changed Everything’
- Watch: Kashmiri Woman Meets Rahul Gandhi On Flight From Srinagar, Shares J&K's Ordeal
- 3rd Test: Ashes On Fire As ENG Level Series
- Brazil Deploys 44,000 Troops To Fight Amazon Fires Amid International Outcry
- Pakistan Says Committed To Kartarpur Corridor Despite Tense Ties With India