Police today registered First Information Report (FIR) against unknown person in the case of missing bullet-proof jacket of former ATS Chief Hemant Karkare.
The FIR was registered by JJ Marg police station in south Mumbai on an order passed by Mazgaon metropolitan magistrate following a complaint made by a social activist.
The magistrate had ordered the police to probe the missing jacket of Karkare and file an FIR.
"This is a very serious issue and the probe would unravel how and when the jacket went missing. We strongly suspect powerful and influential men would be involved in the case," complainant's lawyer Y P Singh said.
Social activist Santosh Daundkar had filed a complaint in Mazgaon court alleging that Karkare was wearing bullet-proof jacket when he was killed near Cama hospital during the 26/11 Mumbai terror strikes.
His body was taken to JJ Hospital for post-mortem and since then the bullet-proof jacket is missing. He claimed that bullet-proof vest was a vital piece of evidence in the backdrop of allegations that it was defective and had therefore led to Karkare's death.
Earlier, Maharashtra home minister R R Patil had ordered the Mumbai Police Crime Branch to probe the missing jacket after Kavita Karkare brought the matter to his notice.
Kavita had learnt through RTI that the bullet-proof jacket was missing.
Police Register FIR in Karkare's Missing Jacket Case
THE LATEST ISSUE
- ‘Need To Look At Every Aspect That Caused Defeat’: Sonia Gandhi To Congress On Poll Results
- Himanta Biswa Sarma Takes Oath As The CM Of Assam, Here Are The Names Of Other Ministers
- Why High Antibody Doesn’t Guarantee Protection From Covid-19?
- 34 AMU Professors Succumb To Covid-19 In Last 18 Days
- Game Over, Or Halftime? Mamata Faces Full-Blown Tussle With BJP
- India In England: Prithvi Shaw Unlucky, Hardik Pandya Needs To Prove All-rounder Credentials
- Online Real Money Gaming: Why Present Is Imperfect And Future Is Tense
- For IPL Organisers, Loss Of Revenue Seems More Important Than Loss Of Lives Due To COVID
- Why Should Boys Have All The Fun? Sports For One And All!
- Why Virat Kohli Is Right And ICC Wrong: A Philosopher Looks At DRS
- Led By Debutants Why Indian Cricket Is On Top Of The World
- RSS- BJP Tussle Behind Kerala Poll Drubbing?
- Fact Check: Can You Get Covid Even After Vaccination? Govt Clarifies
- Can Hot Water Bath Or Drinking Warm Water Prevent Covid? Govt Answers
- Covid: What’s Fatal Black Fungus Infection?
- Natasha Narwal Granted Interim Bail After Father Dies Of Covid-19
- M.K. Stalin: The Prince Who Finally Became King
- Dramatic Draw Not Enough To Keep Title In Real's Hands
- BCCI Will Be Ultra-cautious For T20 World Cup: Jimmy Neesham