A large number of armed police personnel have been sent to the northeastern part of Mizoram where people are being intimidated by militants of Hmar People's Convention-Democrats, state Home Minister R Lalzirliana said here today.
The move came close on the heels of HPC-D insurgents sending extortion notes to the village leaders of the areas besides intimidating Young Mizo Association (YMA) branches to abolish their units.
Lalzirliana said people of the area required assurances from the government as they are being intimidated by the militants of Manipur-based Hmar People's Convention-Democrats (HPC-D).
"The state police marched in the area to instill confidence in the minds of the people," he said.
Lalzirliana said the border police outposts in the area would be strengthened and better fire power and additional police outposts would be established in the area to meet the latest challenges of the Hmar militancy.
Meanwhile, majority of YMA branches inside the 'Demand Area' of the HPC-D submitted their assets to the central committee of the YMA as ordered by the HPC-D led by its new leader H Sangbera.
The YMA and local people in Mizoram-Assam border Vairengte town and surrounding areas, however, defied the threats of the HPC-D and urged the Hmar militant group to explain their moves in return.
Police Force Sent to Mizoram Border to Secure Villagers
READ MORE IN:
THE LATEST ISSUE
- As Assam CM, Himanta Biswa Sarma Finally Lives His Dream
- GST Exemption On Vaccine, Covid Drugs Will Make Them Costlier: FM Nirmala Sitharaman
- ‘I Would Like To Play Women Who Are Irresponsible': Konkona Sen
- Lockdown In Delhi Extended Till May 17: Arvind Kejriwal
- Tamil Nadu's New Health Minister MA Subramanian Is Also A Marathon Runner
- India In England: Prithvi Shaw Unlucky, Hardik Pandya Needs To Prove All-rounder Credentials
- Online Real Money Gaming: Why Present Is Imperfect And Future Is Tense
- For IPL Organisers, Loss Of Revenue Seems More Important Than Loss Of Lives Due To COVID
- Why Should Boys Have All The Fun? Sports For One And All!
- Why Virat Kohli Is Right And ICC Wrong: A Philosopher Looks At DRS
- Led By Debutants Why Indian Cricket Is On Top Of The World
- Cong Leader Mallikarjun Kharge Urges PM Modi To Hold All-Party Meeting
- Talks For National Alliance Of Opposition Parties To Start Soon: Raut
- YouTuber Rahul Vohra Dies Hours After Predicting His Death On Facebook
- Sikh Body Provides Oxygen Concentrators To Covid Patients
- Youth Congress President Steps Into Sonu Sood’s Shoes
- How India’s Top Sports Institution Let Covid Breach Elite Training Camps
- Lewis Hamilton Wins Record-equalling Sixth Spanish Grand Prix
- Remainder Of IPL 2021 Can't Happen In India, Says Sourav Ganguly