Pakistan-occupied Kashmir (PoK) 'Prime Minister' Attique Ahmed Khan, accused of corruption and incompetence, was forced out of office on Tuesday after the local assembly passed a no-confidence motion against him.
Sardar Yaqoob, who was elected the new Leader of the House in the PoK assembly, was administered the oath of office by 'president' Raja Zulqarnain Khan.
The move by dissidents to remove Attique, a supporter of former President Pervez Musharraf, had the backing of Pakistan's ruling PPP.
Thirty-one members in the 49-strong assembly backed the no-confidence motion while 15 opposed it. Two members abstained. One seat is empty following the death of a member.
The no-confidence motion was carried as dissident members of the ruling Muslim Conference party joined hands with opposition legislators to oust Attique, who was accused of corruption and incompetence.
The opposition also accused Attique of supporting Musharraf. Attique congratulated Yaqoob but denied all the charges levelled against him.
The government in PoK has usually been changed after a change of government in Pakistan.
Pakistan Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani congratulated Yaqoob on becoming the new leader of the house.
PoK PM Forced Out of Power in No-Confidence Vote
THE LATEST ISSUE
- In The TIME Of Bilkis Bano As Dadi Cool
- MI Vs SRH LIVE: Confident Start To Hyderabad's Chase; 34/0 (4)
- 'Be Back Soon,' 'Next Few Days Are Real Test': Trump
- UP CM Orders CBI Probe; Rahul, Priyanka Meet Hathras Victim's Family
- Bihar Assembly Elections 2020: BJP, JD(U) Reach Seat-Sharing Agreement
- IPL 2020: KL Rahul’s Record Century, Yuzvendra Chahal’s Clever Bowling Highlights Of Week 1
- IPL 2020: Emergence Of The Team Psychologist And T20 Spinner
- IPL 2020: Expect Run Outs, Batting Collapses And Run Freeze In Initial Matches In UAE
- Woman Scribes' Rift Over Rhea Chakraborty Exposes TV-Print Divide
- Brace For Exciting England-Australia Clash As Old Enemies Meet In New World
- Sports And National Education Policy: A Flawed Understanding
- Fifty Years Of Satyajit Ray's Aranyer Din Ratri
- Rahul Gandhi’s Tractor Rally Against Farm Laws
- When The Impact Players Misfire
- Another Mahagathbandhan Ally Quits At Patna Press Conference
- Durga Puja During Coronavirus Pandemic
- Nirbhaya's Mother's Exclusive Take On Hathras Rape Case
- Mission Bengal: A Saffron Experiment
- French Open: Teen Swiatek Blows Away Halep To Reach Last Eight