Pakistan-occupied Kashmir (PoK) 'Prime Minister' Attique Ahmed Khan, accused of corruption and incompetence, was forced out of office on Tuesday after the local assembly passed a no-confidence motion against him.
Sardar Yaqoob, who was elected the new Leader of the House in the PoK assembly, was administered the oath of office by 'president' Raja Zulqarnain Khan.
The move by dissidents to remove Attique, a supporter of former President Pervez Musharraf, had the backing of Pakistan's ruling PPP.
Thirty-one members in the 49-strong assembly backed the no-confidence motion while 15 opposed it. Two members abstained. One seat is empty following the death of a member.
The no-confidence motion was carried as dissident members of the ruling Muslim Conference party joined hands with opposition legislators to oust Attique, who was accused of corruption and incompetence.
The opposition also accused Attique of supporting Musharraf. Attique congratulated Yaqoob but denied all the charges levelled against him.
The government in PoK has usually been changed after a change of government in Pakistan.
Pakistan Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani congratulated Yaqoob on becoming the new leader of the house.
PoK PM Forced Out of Power in No-Confidence Vote
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Spilling The Beans: How Murky Was Cafe Coffee Day Founder VG Siddartha's Death
- Sindhu Smashes Okuhara, 1st Indian To Win World Badminton Title
- Arun Jaitley Cremated With State Honours At Nigambodh Ghat In Delhi
- Shashi Tharoor Pens Tribute, Says Arun Jaitley Was Every Non-BJP Person’s Favourite BJP Person
- WI Vs IND, 1st Test: Rahane, Bumrah Star As India Hammer West Indies By 318 Runs
- Kashmiris Are Angry, Yet They Are Calm. Why?
- Indian Armed Forces, Civilians Continue To Bleed In Internal Conflicts, But Do We Care?
- On India's 73rd Independence Day, A Letter to Pehlu Khan
- The Valley Has Fallen Into Rigor Mortis
- BBC, Northern Ireland, And Kashmir – Where Shekhar Kapur Got It Wrong
- Euphoria On Abrogation Of Article 370 Is Wearing Off, Only Time Will Tell Full Meaning Of This Move
- PM Modi Arrives In France For G7 Summit, Will Speak On Global Issues
- Rahul Gandhi Shares Video Of Srinagar Visit, Attacks 'Draconian Administration' Of Jammu And Kashmir
- PM Modi Gives Nationwide Call To Observe September As 'Poshan Abhiyaan' Month
- ‘We Considered Ourselves Indians... But Now Govt Has Changed Everything’
- Watch: Kashmiri Woman Meets Rahul Gandhi On Flight From Srinagar, Shares J&K's Ordeal
- 3rd Test: Ashes On Fire As ENG Level Series
- Brazil Deploys 44,000 Troops To Fight Amazon Fires Amid International Outcry
- Pakistan Says Committed To Kartarpur Corridor Despite Tense Ties With India