Prime Minister Manmohan Singh's daughter Upinder Singh was today honoured with Infosys Prize 2009 Laureates award for her outstanding contribution in the field of history.
The Prime Minister was present at the function where Upinder, a Professor of History in the Delhi University, was given the award along with four others.
Singh congratulated all the awardees. "As for Upinder getting the prize, as a father I naturally feel very proud," he said.
When asked about R&D as a career, the Prime Minister said, "It is true that things are changing and Infy has shown the way, the Government of India is trying to create a climate and increase the emphasis on R&D and varieties of human knowledge.
Upinder got the award in the field of social sciences for her contributions as a historian of ancient and early medieval India.
Upinder, an alumna of St Stephen's College in Delhi, obtained her PhD from McGill University, Canada. An author of several books, she is a faculty member at the Department of History, University of Delhi.
PM's Daughter Among Infosys Award Winners
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Pulwama Attack: India Launches Diplomatic Offensive To Isolate Pakistan, Briefs 25 Envoys
- PM Modi, Rahul Gandhi Pay Tribute To Martyred CRPF Soldiers
- Security Of Those Who Receive Money From ISI, Pak Needs To Be Reviewed: Rajnath Singh
- We Never Thought He Would Join Militancy, Says Stunned Father Of Jaish Militant
- Light A Candle, Pay Tribute To CRPF Bravehearts
- China’s Growing Influence In Nepal Vs India’s Soft Power
- Will 'Operation Lotus' Boomerang On BJP In Karnataka?
- Faulted By Design: Cow Slaughter In India And Bank Interest In Pakistan
- A Race To Grab Spotlight This Election Season
- Zero's Failure Should Not Dissuade Shahrukh Khan From Trying New Roles
- The Big 'Little Brother' Of Tamil Nadu
- Curfew, Army Flag March In Jammu After Violent Protests Over Pulwama Attack
- 'We Are At Fault Also', Says J&K Governor, Admits To Intelligence Failure In Pulwama
- Officials Fear Magnitude Of Pulwama Attack Could Lure More Youth To Join Militant Ranks
- Regret Every Killing On Kashmiri Soil, Say Separatists Without Mentioning Pulwama
- Opinion | Pulwama Attack: India's Response Has To Be Well Considered, Options Not Unlimited
- West Bengal: BJP Leader's Daughter Allegedly Kidnapped At Gunpoint
- Big Surprises! India Announce Three Squads For Australia Series
- Perpetrators Must Be Punished, But Can Entire Nation Be Blamed For Handful Of People: Sidhu