Prime Minister Manmohan Singh's daughter Upinder Singh was today honoured with Infosys Prize 2009 Laureates award for her outstanding contribution in the field of history.
The Prime Minister was present at the function where Upinder, a Professor of History in the Delhi University, was given the award along with four others.
Singh congratulated all the awardees. "As for Upinder getting the prize, as a father I naturally feel very proud," he said.
When asked about R&D as a career, the Prime Minister said, "It is true that things are changing and Infy has shown the way, the Government of India is trying to create a climate and increase the emphasis on R&D and varieties of human knowledge.
Upinder got the award in the field of social sciences for her contributions as a historian of ancient and early medieval India.
Upinder, an alumna of St Stephen's College in Delhi, obtained her PhD from McGill University, Canada. An author of several books, she is a faculty member at the Department of History, University of Delhi.
PM's Daughter Among Infosys Award Winners
THE LATEST ISSUE
- To Stop The Next Kasabs: 10 Years After 26/11, Is India Any Safer?
- After Naidu, Mamata Bans CBI Probe In West Bengal Without Consent, Says BJP Using It For 'Vendetta'
- CIA Concludes Saudi Crown Prince Ordered Journalist Jamal Khashoggi's Killing
- A Decade After 26/11 Attack, Justice Remains Elusive For Tukaram Omble's Family
- Sabarimala Row: Hartal Called In Kerala After Hindu Woman Leader's Arrest
- Why Indian Railways Is Bad At Implementing Big-Ticket Projects
- Tamil Nadu: A State For Statues
- From Srinagar, A Tale Of 'Cabbage' And (W)Rath
- What Makes India Powerful, What Sort Of A Country We Want
- Indian Railways On A Name Changing Spree
- The Relevance of Shah Rukh Khan Long After We’ve Stopped Running Through Mustard Fields
- Will Visit Sabarimala Next Unannounced, Using Guerilla Tactics: Trupti Desai
- Let Non-Gandhi Become Congress President For Five Years: PM Modi
- J&K Panchayat Elections: Polling For First Phase Begins Amid Tight Security
- Opinion | Sabarimala Row: It’s Time Traditionalists Speak Up
- The Art Of Dreaming Should Be Learnt From Congress: Amit Shah
- No Match For Mithali Raj: Indian Legend Overtakes Men's Highest T20I Run-Getter
- PM Modi Is A Chowkidar Of Anil Ambani, Says Rahul Gandhi In Poll-Bound Madhya Pradesh
- Cyclone Gaja: 13 Dead, Over 81,000 Evacuated As Storm Makes Landfall In TN, Puducherry