Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh has written a letter to Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas assuring him of India's "full support" for his country's bid for statehood at the UN.
"India has always supported the Palestinian people in their pursuit of legitimate goals and for development with dignity and self reliance. I assure you of India's full support in the United Nations," Singh wrote in the letter to Abbas.
India's Permanent Representative to the UN Hardeep Singh Puri read out the one-page letter at a briefing with Indian reporters here.
The letter, written today, was in response to an August 21 communication by Abbas to the Prime Minister "regarding the initiative to seek full membership for Palestine in the UN."
"India's relations with Palestine are historic and firmly rooted in our national ethos. India has been unwavering in its support for the Palestinian people's struggle for a sovereign, independent, viable and united state of Palestine with East Jerusalem as its capital, living within secure and recognisable borders side by side and at peace with Israel" as endorsed in the Arab peace initiative quartet road map and the relevant UN Security Council resolution, Singh said in the letter.
Puri rubbished claims that India would not extend support to Palestine, saying India was the first non-Arab country to recognise the Palestinian aspiration for statehood.
Abbas, who is in the city for the 66th session of the UN General Assembly, today conveyed to UN Secretary General Ban Ki-Moon that he will submit to him on Friday an application for Palestinian membership in the UN.
PM Assures Support to Palestinian Statehood Bid at UN
Yoshita Singh/New York
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Covid Makes Inroads Into Remote Himachal Villages
- Outcry After J&K Police ‘Beat Women’ To Impose Corona Curfew
- Private Traders Saw Second Wave Coming, Hoarded Oxygen But Government Didn’t
- ‘Will Covid Vaccine Kill Or Make Me Impotent?’ Villagers Question, Say No To Vaccine
- Split Of Votes Between Congress-led Front, AJP-RD Saved BJP's Skin
- Born April 18, Died April 20: The Spectacular Fall Of European Super League And Its Aftermath
- India In England: Prithvi Shaw Unlucky, Hardik Pandya Needs To Prove All-rounder Credentials
- Online Real Money Gaming: Why Present Is Imperfect And Future Is Tense
- For IPL Organisers, Loss Of Revenue Seems More Important Than Loss Of Lives Due To COVID
- Why Should Boys Have All The Fun? Sports For One And All!
- Why Virat Kohli Is Right And ICC Wrong: A Philosopher Looks At DRS
- The Dravidian Wall: Patience, Experience Paid Off For DMK’s Stalin
- How To Tackle 2nd Covid Wave: 9 Points From Opposition To Centre
- Modi’s War Against Covid: From ‘Timely & Tough’ to ‘Worrying’
- Column: Some Oxygen For Siddique Kappan, Please?
- Nurses: Covid Warriors And Real Bravehearts
- NC Condemns Israeli 'Atrocities' On Palestinians
- Fencer Bhavani Almost Skipped Qualifying
- Saina, Srikanth's Olympic Hopes Over