In a sordid tale of political intrigue, secret documents reveal that a group close to former chancellor Gordon Brown plotted to oust Tony Blair as the prime minister in 2005 at a time when the government was grappling with the London tube blasts.
The rivalry between Blair and Brown was an open secret, but this is the first time the intensity of their tussle for power has emerged on record.
The revelations are particularly damaging because the intrigues continued even as efforts were on to deal with the London blasts.
The Daily Telegraph obtained more than 30 memos belonging to Ed Balls, who was the Education secretary then and one of Brown's closest advisers.
It ran the story under the headline 'Revealed: Ed Balls and the 'brutal' plot to topple Blair'.
Blair stepped down as prime minister and Brown took over in June 2007.
Publishing the secret memos today, the newspaper also names current Labour leader Ed Miliband and shadow foreign secretary Douglas Alexander as being involved in 'Project Volvo', which was supposedly an attempt by his allies to re brand Brown in his bid to take over as the prime minister.
The documents reportedly disappeared from Ball’s Department for Education during the 2010 general election.
The Cabinet Office is looking into whether there were any "breaches of document security within government".
Plot to Oust Blair as PM During London Blasts: Reports
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Hathras Case | Options Being Explored To Defend Accused: Former BJP MLA At Caste-Based Meet
- KXIP Vs CSK: Faf, Watson Crush Punjab
- Covid-19 And The Dream Of Aatma Nirbhar Bharat
- LJP Goes Solo In Bihar Polls, But Will Chirag Paswan Prove To Be The New Mausam Vaigyanik?
- Hathras Case: UP Police Lathicharges RLD Leader
- IPL 2020: KL Rahul’s Record Century, Yuzvendra Chahal’s Clever Bowling Highlights Of Week 1
- IPL 2020: Emergence Of The Team Psychologist And T20 Spinner
- IPL 2020: Expect Run Outs, Batting Collapses And Run Freeze In Initial Matches In UAE
- Woman Scribes' Rift Over Rhea Chakraborty Exposes TV-Print Divide
- Brace For Exciting England-Australia Clash As Old Enemies Meet In New World
- Sports And National Education Policy: A Flawed Understanding
- In The TIME Of Bilkis Bano As Dadi Cool
- Hathras: Chandrashekhar Meets Family
- Bihar Elections: 47 Open Grounds, 19 Halls For Public Rallies
- Pandey's Stunning Take Is A Thing Of Beauty
- PM Modi A Puppet In Hands Of Ambani-Adani: Rahul Gandhi At Tractor Rally
- Fifty Years Of Satyajit Ray's Aranyer Din Ratri
- Mission Bengal: A Saffron Experiment
- Man Utd 1-6 Spurs: Red Devils Suffer Joint-record Home Defeat