Gitashree Chhabi Bandopadhyay, one of the pioneers of Bengali 'kirtan' and folk songs, died at a nursing home today after a protracted illness, her family said.
She was 89.
Winner of the Sangeet Natak academy (1986) and Bengal Motion Picture Association Award (1955), Chhabi Bandopadhyay enriched the padabali kirtan gharana.
She was a playback singer in at least 35 Bengali films, including Raikamal, Bhagawan Srikrishna Chaitanya and Jogajog.
According to her nephew Nirmalya Banerjee, Chhabi Bandopadhyay cut her first record on bhajans at the age of 10.
She also sang devotional songs, songs of Atulprasad, D L Roy and Rajanikanta Sen.
Pioneering Folk Singer Chhabi Bandopadhyay Dead
READ MORE IN:
THE LATEST ISSUE
- CBI Infighting Intensifies, DSP Arrested In Corruption Case Involving Rakesh Asthana
- Congress Has Not Projected Rahul Gandhi As PM Candidate: Chidambaram
- Kerala Nun Rape Case: Priest Who Gave Statement Against Franco Mulakkal Found Dead
- Paytm Founder's Secy, Two Other Employees Held For Blackmailing Him With Stolen Data
- Forces Did Not Follow Standard Practice: Kashmiri Villagers On Blast At Encounter Site
- BJP's 'Win' In Kashmir Valley Will Be Remembered For Wrong Reasons
- Rail Apps: When A Train Ticket Examiner Left Passengers Speechless
- Durga Puja In Calcutta A Parable Of Life
- M J Akbar Should Be Fired Rather Than Being Allowed To Resign
- Why Kishore Kumar Declined A Cover Version Of His Idol KL Saigal's Songs
- Health Hazards Caused By Contaminated Water Supply In Indian Railways
- CBI Defends Its Director, Terms Allegations Against Him As 'False And Malicious'
- Sack Navjot Singh Sidhu, Register Murder Case Against His Wife: Akali Dal
- Assam: Retired Teacher Allegedly Commits Suicide Over Exclusion Of Name From NRC
- Dalit Woman Makes Failed Bid To Reach Sabarimala Shrine
- CBI Is A Weapon Of Political Vendetta Under Modi's Regime: Rahul Gandhi
- At Sabarimala, IG Sreejith Cries In Front Of Lord Ayyappa
- After Getting Trolled, Maharashtra CM's Wife Apologises For Selfie On Ship
- Woman Raped, Rod Inserted In Her Private Parts In West Bengal