Gitashree Chhabi Bandopadhyay, one of the pioneers of Bengali 'kirtan' and folk songs, died at a nursing home today after a protracted illness, her family said.
She was 89.
Winner of the Sangeet Natak academy (1986) and Bengal Motion Picture Association Award (1955), Chhabi Bandopadhyay enriched the padabali kirtan gharana.
She was a playback singer in at least 35 Bengali films, including Raikamal, Bhagawan Srikrishna Chaitanya and Jogajog.
According to her nephew Nirmalya Banerjee, Chhabi Bandopadhyay cut her first record on bhajans at the age of 10.
She also sang devotional songs, songs of Atulprasad, D L Roy and Rajanikanta Sen.
Pioneering Folk Singer Chhabi Bandopadhyay Dead
READ MORE IN:
THE LATEST ISSUE
- SC Dismisses Rafale PILs With A Note Of Caution, Major Relief To Modi Govt
- Ashok Gehlot To Be Rajasthan CM, Sachin Pilot His Deputy: Congress
- Outlook-Lokniti-CSDS Election Analysis: How Madhya Pradesh Voted
- Interpreting The Verdict: What Led To BJP's Defeat In Rajasthan
- High BP Is Killing Tribals In J&K. Is Kashmiri Salt Tea To Blame?
- The Pilgrim’s Progress: Railways To Waive Off Surcharge On Special Trains During Kumbh Mela
- Why There Is A Problem With Opinion Polls In India
- Introduced And Cancelled: Why India's Semi-High-Speed Trains Struggle To Survive
- When Omar Retweets Mehbooba And Drabu 'Likes' Lone's Tweets
- In Karnataka, Ministry Expansion Is Back To The Front Once Again
- Here's Why PM Modi's G20 Move On Economic Offenders Is Unlikely To Change Anything
- Kamal Nath Will Take Oath As Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister On Dec 17
- Arun Jaitley Rejects Demand For JPC Probe Into Rafale Deal
- Rahul Gandhi Maintains Charges, Asks Why CAG Report On Rafale Deal Cited By SC Not Tabled Before PAC
- Over Rs 2000 Crore: Cost Of PM Modi's Foreign Trips Since 2014
- New MP Assembly Has 94 MLAs With Criminal Cases, 187 Multi-millionaires
- Ace Shuttlers Saina Nehwal, Parupalli Kashyap Tie The Knot, Wishes Pour In
- Five Dead, 80 Hospitalised After Consuming 'Prasad' In Karnataka's Chamarajnagar District
- AUS Vs IND, 2nd Test, Day 1 Report: Honours Even As Indian Pacers Toil At Perth