Animal rights body People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) today appealed to the Election Commission to allow it to use the covered up elephant statues in Uttar Pradesh as a platform to expose cruelty against jumbos in circuses.
In a letter to Chief Election Commissioner S Y Quraishi, PETA urged him to request the Uttar Pradesh government to open the city's parks for them.
"While the elephant statues are covered, we'd like to put banners on them that read - 'Cover-Up by the Big Top: Elephants in the Circus Are Beaten and Shackled'," it said.
Under the order of the Election Commission, all statues of Chief Minister Mayawati and her party poll symbol, the elephant, are now being draped with clothes or plastic sheets.
This is being done to not let these statues at various parks and memorials influence the choices of voters during the seven-phased assembly elections which will run from February 4 till February 28.
The animal rights group said that if allowed to place banners on those drapings, it would help expose the cruelty against animals in circuses.
"When they're not being forced to perform meaningless tricks that are confusing to them, elephants used in circuses are kept shackled. These majestic creatures are trained through beatings and fear of physical punishment," it said.
Requesting Quraishi to consider their request, the international animal rights group said it would would help them encourage people worldwide to boycott circuses, thereby helping countless animals whose pains go unnoticed.
"Supporting us in this good deed may also help quieten those who have criticised the move to cover the statues. It would be a win-win situation," the PETA letter read.
PETA Finds a Use for Maya's Veiled Elephants in UP
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Arun Jaitley, Former Union Minister And Senior BJP Leader, Dies At 66
- BJP's Indispensable Man, A Raconteur And Mentor: Arun Jaitley Was All These And Much More
- How Arun Jaitley Played A Key Role In Making Nitish Kumar The Bihar CM
- UAE's Highest Civilian Award For Modi, Egg On Pakistan's Face
- MSD: Three Musketeers Who Engineered Kashmir's Bloodless Coup, But Are Their Plans Sustainable?
- Kashmiris Are Angry, Yet They Are Calm. Why?
- Indian Armed Forces, Civilians Continue To Bleed In Internal Conflicts, But Do We Care?
- On India's 73rd Independence Day, A Letter to Pehlu Khan
- The Valley Has Fallen Into Rigor Mortis
- BBC, Northern Ireland, And Kashmir – Where Shekhar Kapur Got It Wrong
- Euphoria On Abrogation Of Article 370 Is Wearing Off, Only Time Will Tell Full Meaning Of This Move
- 'What Is Modi Govt Trying To Hide?' Says Congress After Rahul Gandhi-Led Delegation Denied Entry In J&K
- 'Political Giant, Towering Intellectual, Legal Luminary': PM Modi's Tribute To Arun Jaitley
- Naresh Goyal Created Tax Evading Schemes To Siphon Off Funds Abroad: ED
- PV Sindhu Progresses To Final At Badminton Worlds
- India Has Lost An Outstanding Parliamentarian: Ex-PM Manmohan Singh Condoles Arun Jaitley's Death
- Durand Final: Joseph-Inspired Gokulam Stun Bagan To Lift Trophy
- Why Is Part Of The Amazon Burning?
- PM Modi Defends Article 370 Move In UAE, Says It Ends 'Isolation' Of J&K Which Was Radicalising Youths