Former Pakistan captain Wasim Akram feels that playing conditions in Sydney and Perth in the ongoing Test series between India and Australia exposed the "physical inadequacies of an ageing cricketer".
"The conditions at Perth and Sydney exposed the physical inadequacies of an ageing cricketer. Hot and humid conditions can be physically taxing and at WACA, at least three senior Indian batsmen were simply too tired to move their feet and tackle a moving ball after fielding for almost two days at a stretch," Akram wrote in his column for espnstar.Com.
"For a cricketer who is nearing 40, these are signs that tell him to move away from the intensity of international cricket."
For the record, Rahul Dravid is 39 while Sachin Tendulkar is aged 38 and VVS Laxman is 37.
Akram reckons that criticism on the Indian team is completely justified and selectors need to take some brave decisions.
"The criticism on the Indian team is fully justified. Dhoni is talking about phasing out the senior players and that's exactly how the entire world feels.
"The onus is now on the Indian selectors, who have to take some brave decisions. Dravid, Laxman and Tendulkar have been legends but past laurels don't win you matches. You need to accept reality and move on."
Akram termed India's performance as a matter of "sub-continental shame".
"Perth should be an eye-opener for Indian cricket. Seven straight overseas Test loses should send the BCCI a clear message: there is something seriously wrong in the way India is playing cricket and a team that was recently world No. 1 cannot afford to be just kings at home. India's abject surrender is a sub-continental shame," the legendary pacer wrote.
Perth Showed Inadequacies of Ageing Players: Akram
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Clueless Congress Stumbles From One Poll Defeat To Another
- Cong To Form Fact-Finding Team To Analyse Poll Debacle
- Corpses Found Floating In Ganga
- 1st Priority Is To Contain Covid: CM Himanta Biswa Sarma
- Himachal: Cyber Thugs Target Covid Patients With False Promises Of Hospital Beds, Remdesivir
- Born April 18, Died April 20: The Spectacular Fall Of European Super League And Its Aftermath
- India In England: Prithvi Shaw Unlucky, Hardik Pandya Needs To Prove All-rounder Credentials
- Online Real Money Gaming: Why Present Is Imperfect And Future Is Tense
- For IPL Organisers, Loss Of Revenue Seems More Important Than Loss Of Lives Due To COVID
- Why Should Boys Have All The Fun? Sports For One And All!
- Why Virat Kohli Is Right And ICC Wrong: A Philosopher Looks At DRS
- India's Battle Against Covid: Grim Reaper Stalks The Land
- Why High Antibody Doesn’t Guarantee Protection From Covid
- Lancet Slams Modi Govt for Stoking a ‘Self-Inflicted National Catastrophe’
- Can You Get Covid After Vaccination?
- In A First, An Independent Candidate In TN Releases Election Expenses
- RSS- BJP Tussle Behind Kerala Poll Drubbing?
- 'Sushil Has Tarnished Wrestling's Image,' LOC Served After Murder
- Virat Kohli, Ishant Sharma Get First Dose Of COVID-19 Vaccine