Expressing concern over people forgetting Mahatma Gandhi's ideals and remembering him in a customary manner on his birth anniversary, his grand daughter, Sumitra Gandhi Kulkarni said that people should practice his teachings in their lives instead of just eulogizing him on his birthday.
"People of this country are slowly forgetting Mahatma Gandhi and engaged in just remembering him in a customary manner," the 80-year-old Kulkarni told PTI from Bangalore on the eve of Gandhiji's birth anniversary tomorrow.
She said recently she read in a newspaper that when an eighth or ninth class student was asked, who was Mahatma Gandhi, the kid replied "Sonia Gandhi's father".
Kulkarni, the former Rajya Sabha member, said that people forget Gandhiji's ideals soon after taking part in the customary meetings and get engrossed in their day-to-day work.
However, she said that she has no objection to the use of term 'Gandhigiri' by the people to oppose 'dadagiri'.
She also expressed concern over the deterioration of Khadi in the country and added that the spin used for weaving khadi could still be relevant in the country.
The Gandhian philosophy of non-violence is still relevant given the fact that the other means to stop violence have failed to yield the desired results, she said.
She was critical about promoting Gandhi as a brand in the country as by taking his name people also do their own publicity and felt relieved that at least liquor was not being sold under the Gandhi brand.
On the Ayodhya dispute, she said that if the issue of Ram Janambhoomi-Babri masjid was left with local people, they would have solved it in 15 days.
People Are Slowly Forgetting Mahatma: Sumitra Gandhi
THE LATEST ISSUE
- What Makes Some Vaccinated People More Susceptible To Covid-19 Than Others? Experts Answer
- Can A Person Get Re-Infected After Recovering From Covid?
- Year’s First Cyclone ‘Tauktae’ Forming Over Arabian Sea, Likely To Intensify Further: IMD
- Big Companies Have Their Own Singers And They Get A Chance Easily: Sonu Nigam
- Split Of Votes Between Congress-led Front, AJP-RD Saved BJP's Skin
- Born April 18, Died April 20: The Spectacular Fall Of European Super League And Its Aftermath
- India In England: Prithvi Shaw Unlucky, Hardik Pandya Needs To Prove All-rounder Credentials
- Online Real Money Gaming: Why Present Is Imperfect And Future Is Tense
- For IPL Organisers, Loss Of Revenue Seems More Important Than Loss Of Lives Due To COVID
- Why Should Boys Have All The Fun? Sports For One And All!
- Why Virat Kohli Is Right And ICC Wrong: A Philosopher Looks At DRS
- The Dravidian Wall: Patience, Experience Paid Off For DMK’s Stalin
- Panic In UP's Unnao After Bodies Found Buried In Sand Near Ganga
- Covid: Planning To Buy Oximeter? Here’s What You Need To Know
- 'Cow Dung Therapy' Can't Beat Covid, May Trigger Black Fungus: Doctors
- Transmission Of Coronavirus Through Water Is Not A Concern: Experts
- Know Why Using Right Glassware Is Important While Mixing Your Drink
- Italian Open: Nadal Passes Sinner Test, Medvedev Crashes Out
- Atletico Madrid Edge Closer To La Liga Title, Beat Real Sociedad 2-1