Noted Indian-American writer and journalist Fareed Zakaria, who was briefly suspended by Time magazine and CNN after he was accused of plagiarism, described the episode as "tough" and "clarifying" and said he now realises the focus of what he wants to do ahead.
48-year-old Zakaria's suspension was revoked by Time and CNN last week, days after he had issued an apology for lifting a passage for an article he wrote on gun control for
Time from an essay by Harvard University professor of American history Jill Lepore in the
New Yorker magazine.
"This has been a tough week, but it has also been clarifying," Zakaria said in a
New York Times article.
"You find out what matters to you in life, who your friends are".
Zakaria said he was apologetic for his "a terrible mistake...This week has been very important because it has made me realize what is at the core of what I want to do."
The Harvard and Yale graduate said he wanted to "help people to think about this fast-moving world and do this through my work on TV and writing".
He said the mistake occurred when he confused the notes he had taken about Lepore's article with those taken from 'Gunfight: The Battle Over the Right to Bear Arms in America,' by Adam Winkler, a copy of which was on his desk at his
Past Week 'Tough' and 'Clarifying': Fareed Zakaria
Yoshita Singh/New York
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Experts Recommend Covaxin For Phase 2/3 Trials On 2-8-Year-Olds
- Bihar: 71 Corpses Recovered From Ganga
- 26 Covid Patients Die At Goa Govt Hospital
- Bengal Polls: Widespread Fear Of BJP's Agenda Torpedoed Its Chances
- China’s Wolf Warrior Warns Bangladesh Against Joining The Quad
- Born April 18, Died April 20: The Spectacular Fall Of European Super League And Its Aftermath
- India In England: Prithvi Shaw Unlucky, Hardik Pandya Needs To Prove All-rounder Credentials
- Online Real Money Gaming: Why Present Is Imperfect And Future Is Tense
- For IPL Organisers, Loss Of Revenue Seems More Important Than Loss Of Lives Due To COVID
- Why Should Boys Have All The Fun? Sports For One And All!
- Why Virat Kohli Is Right And ICC Wrong: A Philosopher Looks At DRS
- Paradigm Shift: Punjab Farmers Welcome Direct Payment System
- 32-Year-Old Garbage Collector Who Skipped Jab, Dies Of Covid In Shimla
- What Is Mucormycosis?
- AMU Doctor Dies Of Covid, Toll Of Staff Succumbing To Virus Rises To 35
- Payworld To Assist Rural Folks With Covid Vaccine Registration
- Assam Gets Its First Woman Finance Minister As Sarma Distributes Portfolios
- Why Team India Will Take Covishield?
- Sania Mirza's Fight With Depression