A Vigilance Court here today posted to January 25 the trial in palmolein import graft case, in which former chief minister and Congress stalwart late K Karunakaran and Central Vigilance Commissioner P J Thomas figure in the list of accused.
When the case came up today, Public Prosecutor informed the court that first accused K Karunakaran was no more and he would file a report in this regard soon.
As per information, the Supreme court had yesterday vacated the stay on the trial of the palmolein case, he said. However official communication from the apex court was yet to be received, he said.
It was also pointed out that all documents related to the case were with the supreme court.
The judge S Jagadeesh posted the case to January 25 before which the records of the case were expected from the apex court.
The case related to loss to the tune of Rs 2.32 core allegedly caused to the exchequer by import of palmolein in 1991-92 when Karunarakan was the chief minister and P J Thomas the Food Secretary and a member of the Board of the Kerala State Civil Supplies Corporation.
Thomas figures as the eighth accused in the chargesheet filed by the Vigilance and Anti-corruption Bureau in 2003.
According to the chargesheet, filed under the Prevention of Corruption Act and the Indian Penel Code, the caused accused the exchequer a loss of Rs 2.32 crore by importing palmolein through a Malaysia based firm at exorbitant rates.
Former Food Minister and Congress leader T H Musthafa, Former Chief Secretary S Padmakumar, Former Kerala State Civil Supplies Corporation Chairman Zachariah Mathew, Former KSCSC Managing Director Jiji Thomson and two representatives of the Malaysia based Power and Energy Ltd are the other accused in the case.
Asked about the Supreme Court's decision, Chief Minister V S Achuthanandan told reporters, "This a matter concerning the court, which has its own procedures. It is not proper on the part of the petitioner or the accused to comment on the procedures of the court."
Palmolein Case Posted to January 25
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Himanta Biswa Sarma Takes Oath As The CM Of Assam, Here Are The Names Of Other Ministers
- 34 Aligarh Muslim University Professors Succumb To Covid-19 In Last 18 Days
- Why High Antibody Doesn’t Guarantee Protection From Covid-19?
- India Sees Slight Dip In Covid Daily Count: Records 3,66,161 New Cases, 3,754 Deaths
- Game Over, Or Halftime? Mamata Faces Full-Blown Tussle With BJP
- India In England: Prithvi Shaw Unlucky, Hardik Pandya Needs To Prove All-rounder Credentials
- Online Real Money Gaming: Why Present Is Imperfect And Future Is Tense
- For IPL Organisers, Loss Of Revenue Seems More Important Than Loss Of Lives Due To COVID
- Why Should Boys Have All The Fun? Sports For One And All!
- Why Virat Kohli Is Right And ICC Wrong: A Philosopher Looks At DRS
- Led By Debutants Why Indian Cricket Is On Top Of The World
- RSS- BJP Tussle Behind Kerala Poll Drubbing?
- Fact Check: Can You Get Covid Even After Vaccination? Govt Clarifies
- Can Hot Water Bath Or Drinking Warm Water Prevent Covid? Govt Answers
- Covid: What’s Fatal Black Fungus Infection?
- Natasha Narwal Granted Interim Bail After Father Dies Of Covid-19
- M.K. Stalin: The Prince Who Finally Became King
- Dramatic Draw Not Enough To Keep Title In Real's Hands
- BCCI Will Be Ultra-cautious For T20 World Cup: Jimmy Neesham