Expressing hope that the process to grant Palestinian request for statehood at the UN would be concluded expeditiously, India today said Palestine's membership to the world body should not be made "conditional" upon a peace agreement.
India reiterated its support to the Palestinian statehood request saying the call of the international community for democracy and respect of fundamental rights will "sound hollow if the present impasse continues and Palestinians are denied their aspirations."
"We cannot make Palestine's membership to the United Nations conditional upon a peace agreement for that will be legally untenable, even while we support resumption of direct talks to resolve the outstanding issues," Minister of State for External Affairs E Ahamed said at a Security Council debate on the situation in the Middle East and Palestine.
He said India, which was the first non-Arab country to recognize the State of Palestine in 1988, hopes that the Palestinian application process will be "concluded expeditiously" given that Palestine fulfills all criteria mentioned in UN Charter for membership.
Ahamed said the issue of Palestine took a "decisive turn" in the history of the Middle East conflict after President Mahmoud Abbas filed the application with the UN Secretary General last month.
India's Prime Minister Manmohan Singh had said in his address to the General Assembly on September 24 that India looked forward to welcoming Palestine as an equal member of the United Nations.
India recognizes the democratic aspirations of all people, including in the Middle East, Ahamed said.
'Palestine's Membership to UN Must Be Unconditional'
Yoshita Singh/United Nations
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Republic TV Among 3 Channels Being Probed For TRP Manipulation: Mumbai Police
- SRH Vs KXIP: Hyderabad Openers Off To Flying Start; 93/0 (9)
- UP Police Violated SC Guidelines By Invoking UAPA Against Kerala Journo: Union
- In Naveen’s Crosshairs: Vengeful Odisha Govt Goes After Leading Odia News Channel
- Victorian Ace: Dean Jones Was A True-Bred Australian Who Made Grit His Middle Name
- Chennai Super Kings' Belief In Shane Watson Surreal, But That's What MS Dhoni Is All About!
- IPL 2020: KL Rahul’s Record Century, Yuzvendra Chahal’s Clever Bowling Highlights Of Week 1
- IPL 2020: Emergence Of The Team Psychologist And T20 Spinner
- IPL 2020: Expect Run Outs, Batting Collapses And Run Freeze In Initial Matches In UAE
- Woman Scribes' Rift Over Rhea Chakraborty Exposes TV-Print Divide
- Brace For Exciting England-Australia Clash As Old Enemies Meet In New World
- Women's Wing Of TMC Holds Protest Rally Against Hathras Rape
- American Poet Louise Glück Wins Nobel Literature Prize
- Violence Erupts Between WB Police & BJP Workers
- French Open: Ailing Djokovic Keen Not To 'Reveal Too Much' Before Semi-final
- Poll Sop: Nitish Kumar’s Standard Operating Procedure
- I Am Still A Student Of Cinema: Nawazuddin Siddiqui
- The Saudi Crown Prince Reveals His Schizophrenia
- Ind Vs Aus 2020-21: Cricket Series To Start With ODIs In Brisbane From Nov 25