A coal mine in Balochistan province of southwest Pakistan collapsed following a blast caused by methane gas, killing seven miners and trapping 43 others, officials said.
The explosion in the mine at Sorang, located about 30 km from provincial capital Quetta, was caused by the accumulation of methane gas.
The mine is operated by state-run Pakistan Mineral Development Corporation.
At least seven miners were killed and 43 were trapped in the mine that caved in at 3 am, Chief Mine Inspector Iftikhar Ahmed told the media.
Other officials said 12 unconscious miners were pulled out by rescue workers.
Rescue teams began removing rubble from the mine though efforts were hampered by the lack of machinery, TV news channels reported.
Over 50 workers were in the poorly ventilated mine when the blast occurred.
One entrance to the mine was blocked by debris while the accumulation of gases made it dangerous to go into two other entrances, officials told the media.
Mishaps occur quite frequently in coal mines in Balochistan due to lax safety standards.
Pakistan is estimated to have coal reserves of over 180 billion tonnes.
Pakistan: 7 Killed, 43 Trapped in Mine Blast
Rezaul H Laskar/Islamabad
READ MORE IN:
THE LATEST ISSUE
- PM Modi 'Feels He Has It Under Control': Trump On Kashmir At G7 Summit
- INX Media Case: No Relief For Chidambaram, Court Extends CBI Custody By 4 Days
- PM Modi Made 'Historical Blunder' By Revoking Kashmir's Autonomy: Pak PM Imran Khan
- Sindhu's World Title Or Nehwal's Olympic Bronze – Which Is More Special For Coach Gopichand?
- RBI Approves Rs 1.76 Lakh Cr Transfer Of Surplus Reserves To Government
- Strong And Decisive Leadership May Not Help Always. It Can Cause More Damage Than Good
- Kashmiris Are Angry, Yet They Are Calm. Why?
- Indian Armed Forces, Civilians Continue To Bleed In Internal Conflicts, But Do We Care?
- On India's 73rd Independence Day, A Letter to Pehlu Khan
- The Valley Has Fallen Into Rigor Mortis
- BBC, Northern Ireland, And Kashmir – Where Shekhar Kapur Got It Wrong
- Government Sacks 22 More Tax Officers For Graft, Misconduct
- Opposition Using 'Maarak Shakti...': Pragya Thakur On Death Of BJP Leaders -- Video
- Siddaramaiah Says K'taka Govt Will Not Last Long, Urges Congress To Prepare For Early Polls
- 'He Speaks Very Good English...': Prez Trump Shares Light Moment With PM Modi -- Video
- NHRC Sends Notice To UP Chief Secy Over Rotis With Salt Mid-Day Meal
- G7 Summit: India To Import More From US; Commerce Ministers To Hold Talks Over Trade Issues
- Sindhu To Receive Cash Reward For Stellar Showing At Badminton Worlds
- Sourav Ganguly Gives His Opinion On MS Dhoni's Imminent Retirement