At least 25 people, including three children, were killed and 15 others injured in a fire at a shoe factory in this eastern Pakistani city today.
According to witnesses and police, some 40 people were in the shoe factory at Bund Road in Lahore when the fire broke out.
Flames quickly engulfed the building and plastic, leather and chemicals stored in the building fuelled the blaze.
The owner of the factory, Rajab Ali, and his 10-year-old son were among the dead, witnesses said.
The injured were taken to Mayo Hospital, where doctors described the condition of five persons as critical.
Personnel from the fire service and civic agencies rushed to the spot and launched efforts to extinguish the fire.
Officials of the state-run Rescue 1122 service pulled out 15 people who were trapped in the building and took them to hospital.
"Some 25 people, including three children, died inside the building," a spokesman for the rescue service said.
Most of the dead and injured were aged between 18 and 25 years. The factory is located in a residential area in violation of government rules.
District administration chief Noorul Amin told reporters that the fire broke out after a generator exploded.
He said an inquiry had been launched to identify government officials who had allowed the factory to operate in a residential area.
In a separate incident, about a dozen people were injured when a fire broke out in a garment factory in the southern port city of Karachi this evening. The fire engulfed the second and third floors of the building and the fire service rescued several workers who were trapped on the roof.
Some persons were injured when they jumped out of windows to escape the blaze. Footage on television showed flames leaping out of the windows of the building.
Pak Shoe Factory Fire Kills 25
READ MORE IN:
THE LATEST ISSUE
- 'Development, Trust, Big Changes...': PM Modi On NDA 2.0's 100 Days In Power
- Chandrayaan-2 Lander 'Vikram' Located On Moon's Surface: ISRO Chief Dr Sivan
- Charismatic, Bold And Erudite Ram Jethamalni Was Beacon Of Criminal Law In The Country
- Economic Slowdown Only A 'Cyclical Process', Says I&B Minister Prakash Javadekar
- The Options Before Abdullahs And Muftis Have Shrunk
- From Cambodian Polls To Broken Heart Syndrome, Valley Newspapers Carry Everything But Kashmir
- The World Is Watching India. It Won't Let Us Get Away On Kashmir, NRC For Too Long
- BLOG | Rumours Have Stronger Legs Than Denials In Kashmir Valley
- New Job For Justice Gaur: Even Arun Jaitley Felt It Was Wrong To Reward Retiring Judges
- Strong And Decisive Leadership May Not Help Always. It Can Cause More Damage Than Good
- Kashmiris Are Angry, Yet They Are Calm. Why?
- 100 Days Of Modi Government 2.0: Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy
- 'Tyranny, Chaos & Anarchy': Congress On 100 Days Of Modi Government
- Amit Shah Allays Fear On Article 371, Says NE Culture Will Be Respected
- Delhi Family To Fund Education Of Tailor's Son Who Cleared IIT
- Exploration Of Universe Only Way For Humans To Survive. ISRO, NASA Doing Exactly That
- Ashes LIVE, 4th Test, Day 5: Starc Removes Bairstow; AUS Need Four Wickets
- 'Congratulations To Modi Govt On #100DaysNoVikas': Gandhi Siblings Target NDA 2.0
- US Open Final: Nadal Vs Medvedev - Preview