Pakistan's Supreme Court today imposed a complete ban on the transfer and development of land around shrines of minority communities in the wake of allegations about the illegal sale of a gurdwara's property by a state-run body.
A three-judge bench headed by Chief Justice Iftikhar Chaudhry, which was hearing a case regarding the illegal sale of the gurudwara's land by the Evacuee Trust Property Board, ruled there would be a complete ban on transfer of such land as well as development of roads or any development work.
The Chief Justice said all minorities are safeguarded by the Constitution and the law does not allow anyone to take unconstitutional steps.
"The court will decide according to the Constitution of Pakistan. Our Constitution gives protection to all the minorities," he said.
Mastan Singh, president of the Sikh Council of Pakistan, informed the court that 140 plots of one kanal each of a gurdwara at Chuna Mani in Lahore were allegedly sold by the ETPB.
Singh further said some construction work had already begun on the gurdwara's land.
Hamid Khan, the counsel for ETPB, said the property was exchanged and the gurdwara was given a separate piece of land.
But the bench asked Khan to quote the law under which the land was sold by the ETPB.
Khan contended there are certain provisions in the law that give the federal government the right to sell the lands of minorities.
The court sought a response from the Attorney General before adjourning the matter for three weeks.
Pak SC Bans Land Deals Around Minority Shrines
Rezaul H Laskar/Islamabad
THE LATEST ISSUE
- As Assam CM, Himanta Biswa Sarma Finally Lives His Dream
- GST Exemption On Vaccine, Covid Drugs Will Make Them Costlier: FM Nirmala Sitharaman
- ‘I Would Like To Play Women Who Are Irresponsible': Konkona Sen
- Lockdown In Delhi Extended Till May 17: Arvind Kejriwal
- Tamil Nadu's New Health Minister MA Subramanian Is Also A Marathon Runner
- India In England: Prithvi Shaw Unlucky, Hardik Pandya Needs To Prove All-rounder Credentials
- Online Real Money Gaming: Why Present Is Imperfect And Future Is Tense
- For IPL Organisers, Loss Of Revenue Seems More Important Than Loss Of Lives Due To COVID
- Why Should Boys Have All The Fun? Sports For One And All!
- Why Virat Kohli Is Right And ICC Wrong: A Philosopher Looks At DRS
- Led By Debutants Why Indian Cricket Is On Top Of The World
- Cong Leader Mallikarjun Kharge Urges PM Modi To Hold All-Party Meeting
- Talks For National Alliance Of Opposition Parties To Start Soon: Raut
- YouTuber Rahul Vohra Dies Hours After Predicting His Death On Facebook
- Sikh Body Provides Oxygen Concentrators To Covid Patients
- Youth Congress President Steps Into Sonu Sood’s Shoes
- How India’s Top Sports Institution Let Covid Breach Elite Training Camps
- Lewis Hamilton Wins Record-equalling Sixth Spanish Grand Prix
- Remainder Of IPL 2021 Can't Happen In India, Says Sourav Ganguly