The success of American strategy in Afghanistan depends heavily on Pakistan's willingness to confront terrorism on its soil and prevent safe havens for militants across the porous border, US Defense Secretary Leon Panetta has said.
Putting the onus on Pakistan, Panetta said success its anti terror efforts can be ensured only if Pakistan takes on militant safe havens on its oil to prevent terrorists from crossing over Afghanistan.
"In many ways the success in Afghanistan is dependent on having a Pakistan that is willing to confront terrorism on their side of the border and prevent safe havens," Panetta said while speaking at the Center for a New American Security.
Terming Pakistan as the key to US success in Afghanistan, Panetta said this was the single most important factor after the development of capabilities of the Afghan forces.
"The ability of terrorist groups to move across that border and to attack in Afghanistan and, obviously, the challenge that that represents," he said referring to militant hideouts on the Pakistani side.
"You know, obviously, we can take them as they cross the border. We've been going after them operationally when they do that. But the problem is that when they move back and escape into a safe haven, it makes it very difficult to complete the job," Panetta said acknowledging that cross-border terrorism continues unabated from Pakistan.
He said in order to really have a secure Afghanistan, ultimately Pakistan has to take "responsibility" for taking on terrorists and eliminating the safe havens.
Pak Needs to Remove Safe Havens to Secure Afghan: US
Lalit K Jha/Washington
THE LATEST ISSUE
- 'Don't Vote For JD(U), BJP-LJP Will Form Next Govt,' Says Chirag Paswan
- Air Chief Marshal On Eastern Border Standoff: China Can’t Get Better Of Us
- Hathras Case: Forensic Report That Denied Rape Contains No Value, Say Medical Experts
- RCB Vs DC: Battle Of Equals In Dubai
- Covid-19 And The Dream Of Aatma Nirbhar Bharat
- IPL 2020: KL Rahul’s Record Century, Yuzvendra Chahal’s Clever Bowling Highlights Of Week 1
- IPL 2020: Emergence Of The Team Psychologist And T20 Spinner
- IPL 2020: Expect Run Outs, Batting Collapses And Run Freeze In Initial Matches In UAE
- Woman Scribes' Rift Over Rhea Chakraborty Exposes TV-Print Divide
- Brace For Exciting England-Australia Clash As Old Enemies Meet In New World
- Sports And National Education Policy: A Flawed Understanding
- Trio Wins Nobel Prize In Medicine For Discovery Of Hepatitis C Virus
- 2 CRPF Personnel Killed In Terrorist Attack In Kashmir’s Pampore
- Veteran Spinner Amit Mishra's Season Ends With Fractured Finger
- Delhi Riots: Umar Khalid Sent To 14 Days Judicial Custody
- AIIMS Report A 'Slap' On Those 'Defaming' Maharashtra: Minister
- Scientists Say ‘Feluda’ Test Could Help India Battle COVID-19
- BJP Leader Shot Dead In West Bengal
- Cavani To Man Utd, Depay To Barca: Possible Transfer Deadline Day Deals