Pakistan desires friendly and cooperative relations with India and would like to resolve all outstanding issues between the two sides peacefully, Foreign Minister Shah Mahmood Qureshi said today.
"The government of Pakistan would like to continue to work with the government of India to resolve all outstanding issues peacefully and in a just manner," Qureshi told visiting Indian Foreign Secretary Nirupama Rao.
While noting Pakistan's desire for friendly and cooperative relations, Qureshi "emphasised the importance of a cooperative approach in addressing the common challenge of terrorism," said a statement issued by the Foreign Office.
Rao called on Qureshi at the Foreign Office following her talks with Pakistan Foreign Secretary Salman Bashir.
Sources quoted Qureshi as telling Rao that there was a "constituency for peace" in both countries that wanted dialogue and better relations between the two sides.
However, Qureshi also contended that there were "elements on both sides who did not want dialogue," the sources said.
Qureshi also lauded Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh’s vision for better bilateral relations and said he was sincere about building stronger ties.
The Foreign Office statement said Foreign Secretary Rao conveyed the best wishes of External Affairs Minister S M Krishna to Qureshi.
Krishna is scheduled to visit Islamabad for a meeting with Qureshi on July 15. Reciprocating Krishna's wishes, Qureshi wished the External Affairs Minister, the people and the government of India well and said he was looking forward to his interaction with Krishna next month.
Pak for Resolving Outstanding Issues with India: Qureshi
Rezaul H Laskar/Islamabad
THE LATEST ISSUE
- India Sees Slight Dip In Covid Daily Count: Records 3,66,161 New Cases And 3,754 Deaths
- 34 Aligarh Muslim University Professors Succumb To Covid-19 In Last 18 Days
- 'Little Room For Judicial Interference': Centre To Supreme Court On Vaccine Policy
- Himanta Biswa Sarma Takes Oath As The CM Of Assam, Here Are The Names Of Other Ministers
- How India’s Top Sports Institution Let Covid Breach Elite Training Camps
- India In England: Prithvi Shaw Unlucky, Hardik Pandya Needs To Prove All-rounder Credentials
- Online Real Money Gaming: Why Present Is Imperfect And Future Is Tense
- For IPL Organisers, Loss Of Revenue Seems More Important Than Loss Of Lives Due To COVID
- Why Should Boys Have All The Fun? Sports For One And All!
- Why Virat Kohli Is Right And ICC Wrong: A Philosopher Looks At DRS
- Led By Debutants Why Indian Cricket Is On Top Of The World
- RSS- BJP Tussle Behind Kerala Poll Drubbing?
- Fact Check: Can You Get Covid Even After Vaccination? Govt Clarifies
- Can Hot Water Bath Or Drinking Warm Water Prevent Covid? Govt Answers
- Covid: What’s Fatal Black Fungus Infection?
- UP: Seven Held For Stealing Clothes Off Bodies And Selling Them
- ‘I Would Like To Play Women Who Are Irresponsible': Konkona Sen
- Dramatic Draw Not Enough To Keep Title In Real's Hands
- Remainder Of IPL 2021 Can't Happen In India, Says Sourav Ganguly