Pakistan has detained a co-owner of an upscale catering company in Islamabad and at least four others in connection with the botched Times Square bombing plot for which Pakistani-American terror suspect Faisal Shahzad has been arrested in the US, a media report said here today.
The suspects, including Salman Ashraf of 'Hanif Rajput Catering Service', were taken into custody following the May 1 Times Square terror plot, The Washington Post reported today.
The report came a day after Pakistan's Geo News channel said that six persons had been detained in different places in the country on suspicion of having links to Shahzad.
Citing a US embassy alert in Islamabad, the Post said Americans have been warned about the 'Hanif Rajput Catering Service' as "terrorist groups may have established links" to it.
The unusual embassy alert on Friday said the company was owned by Salman Ashraf - who was taken into custody a few days ago - and his father Rana Ashraf Khan, but it did not elaborate on its alleged ties to militants.
However, Rana Ashraf Khan said that he was shocked by the news of the detention of his son who had been missing for the past 12 days.
The US warning said American government personnel had been instructed to avoid patronising the caterer.
US officials had relayed information about the caterer's suspected terrorism links to Pakistani authorities "for their action," the alert said.
30-year-old terror suspect Shahzad was arrested by the US federal authorities in New York on charges of plotting a car bombing at the Times Square on May 1. He has told investigating authorities that he was trained in Pakistan's Waziristan tribal belt.
Investigations have held the Tehrek-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) responsible for the attempted bombing.
Pak Detains Five Over Times Square Plot: Report
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Private Traders Saw Second Wave Coming, Hoarded Oxygen But Government Didn’t
- How To Tackle Second Covid Wave: 9 Points From Opposition To Centre
- Predicting Shortage, Parliamentary Panel Had Urged Centre To Ramp Up Vaccine Production
- ‘Will Covid Vaccine Kill Or Make Me Impotent?’ Villagers Question, Say No To Vaccine
- Split Of Votes Between Congress-led Front, AJP-RD Saved BJP's Skin
- Born April 18, Died April 20: The Spectacular Fall Of European Super League And Its Aftermath
- India In England: Prithvi Shaw Unlucky, Hardik Pandya Needs To Prove All-rounder Credentials
- Online Real Money Gaming: Why Present Is Imperfect And Future Is Tense
- For IPL Organisers, Loss Of Revenue Seems More Important Than Loss Of Lives Due To COVID
- Why Should Boys Have All The Fun? Sports For One And All!
- Why Virat Kohli Is Right And ICC Wrong: A Philosopher Looks At DRS
- NC Condemns Israeli 'Atrocities' On Palestinians
- The Dravidian Wall: Patience, Experience Paid Off For DMK’s Stalin
- Modi’s War Against Covid: From ‘Timely & Tough’ to ‘Worrying’
- Column| Vaccine Patent Waiver: Responsible Play, Go With India
- Column: Some Oxygen For Siddique Kappan, Please?
- Nurses: Covid Warriors And Real Bravehearts
- Can Thakur Fill In For Pandya - India Bowling Coach Has His Say
- Saina, Srikanth's Olympic Hopes Over