Pakistan's Interior Minister Rehman Malik today called on the Taliban to announce a month-long truce to pave the way for peace talks which the militants offered earlier this month.
The government is ready for a dialogue with the Taliban provided they announce a ceasefire and appoint some sincere clerics for a Jirga to achieve purposeful results, Malik said while interacting with reporters on the sidelines of an official function here.
"First there should be a ceasefire and peace talks can be held only after it," he said.
"The nation has rejected Talibanisation. This is the voice of the majority. Come forward, announce a one-month ceasefire and then hold negotiations," he added.
"If Taliban are sincere about holding talks, they should have announced a ceasefire and formed a Jirga comprising some serious and thoughtful people," Malik said.
He said the Taliban should know that the people of Pakistan have seen their real face and the country will not forgive the killing of innocent citizens, he said.
The banned Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan has stepped up attacks in recent weeks despite indicating that it is ready to hold talks with the government.
In a video released on February 3, Taliban spokesman Ihsanullah Ihsan said his group was willing to hold talks with the government if three opposition politicians, including PML-N chief Nawaz Sharif, act as guarantors.
Sharif has urged the government to talk to the Taliban but refused to be a guarantor.
In December, Pakistani Taliban chief Hakimullah Mehsud too said he was ready for talks though his fighters would not disarm.
Pak Asks Taliban to Announce Truce Before Peace Talks
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Coronavirus: Deserted Roads, No Passenger At Airports, No Worshiper At Places Of Worship As India Goes Into Lockdown
- STOP PRESS!
- Coronavirus: Cases In India Rise To 519, Death Toll Reaches 10
- India Under Lockdown: Here Are The Services That Will Remain Open During Next 21 Days
- Postponing Tokyo Olympics: The Challenges, And Silver Lining
- Dipak Misra Was Reviled As CJI But Ranjan Gogoi Beguiled His Way To Power
- Taking Up Hijab Against Coronavirus
- Seemingly Happiest People Often Suffer From Depression
- Blog | Not Music Or Art, But It's 'Fear' That Binds Us Together
- Restructuring Indian Railways’ Cadres: Is The Proposal Good For The Nation?
- In Chasing Away Maoists, Odisha's Malkangiri Village Delivers Telling Message This R-Day
- 'Release All Detainees, Restore 4G': Omar 's First Word After Detention
- Economists, Activists Urge Govt For Coronavirus Relief Package For Poor
- Coronavirus Lockdown: Know Your Essential Services
- Coronavirus: Govt Allocates Rs 15,000 Crore To Strengthen Country's Healthcare
- First Violence, Now Coronavirus, Delhi's Riot Victims Have Nowhere To Go
- Coronavirus: India Exercised Social Distancing Well, But Are We Prepared For Next Stage?
- Police Clear Anti-CAA Protest Site At Shaheen Bagh Amid COVID-19 Fears
- What Does Lockdown Mean For IPL?