Pakistan Army commandos raided cricketer Umar Gul's house in Peshawar and arrested his brother on charges of harbouring a wanted militant, according to a media report today.
The fast bowler's brother, Meraj, was arrested with two other men on charges of providing shelter to his uncle, Haji Daly, believed to be an active member of the banned
Lashkar-e-Islam, The Express Tribune reported.
A local resident told the newspaper that a team of commandos raided the house yesterday.
Two paramedics, Younas and Shakil, were among those arrested. They were moved to an undisclosed location.
An official of the local police station claimed Haji Daly was injured in an operation by armed forces at Bara in Khyber tribal region, and had fled to Peshawar and lived with Meraj for several days before leaving the city.
The Khyber Agency is a stronghold of the Lashkar-e-Islam.
"The injured man was brought to Hayatabad Medical Complex with two local paramedics who changed his bandages," the official said.
The injured man left the hospital without his identity being ascertained, he said.
Reports indicated that the two arrested paramedics are employees of a maternity home located adjacent to Gul’s house.
Gul's family owns the maternity home.
However, members of Gul's family declined to comment on the matter. A cousin of Gul confirmed that a raid had been carried out and three people were arrested.
Umar Gul's brother Meeraj Gul today claimed the raid on the family’s clinic was conducted due to a "misunderstanding" and that security forces had apologised to him.
"They came here due to a misunderstanding. They said some injured person had come (to the clinic) from Bara (in Khyber Agency)," Meeraj Gul told a TV news channel.
"But we convinced them that only patients suffering for illnesses like fever are treated here. We cannot treat patients who are (badly hurt) or bleeding heavily," he claimed.
Meeraj Gul claimed the personnel who conducted the raid later apologised to him.
He said one person in plainclothes and several others in uniform had carried out the raid.
Pak Army Raids Umar Gul's House, Arrests Brother
Rezaul H Laskar/Islamabad
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Coronavirus: G20 Countries Pledge $5 Trillion To Revive Global Economy
- 'No One Will Go Hungry': Govt Grants Rs 1.70 Lakh Cr Package To Poor Amid Coronavirus Lockdown
- Coronavirus: With 88 New Infections, Cases In India Rise To 694; Death Toll Reaches 16
- Kabul Gurdwara Attack: A Pakistani Attempt To Rupture Strong Indo-Afghan Ties
- Coronavirus Pandemic Raises Serious Questions About China's Conduct
- Dipak Misra Was Reviled As CJI But Ranjan Gogoi Beguiled His Way To Power
- Taking Up Hijab Against Coronavirus
- Seemingly Happiest People Often Suffer From Depression
- Blog | Not Music Or Art, But It's 'Fear' That Binds Us Together
- Restructuring Indian Railways’ Cadres: Is The Proposal Good For The Nation?
- In Chasing Away Maoists, Odisha's Malkangiri Village Delivers Telling Message This R-Day
- Coronavirus: India Extends Ban On International Flights Till April 14
- 'First Step In Right Direction': Rahul On Centre's 1.70 Lakh Cr Package
- Harassment Of Workers Threatens Production Of COVID-19 Test Kits
- Panic-Buying Can Lead To Lack Of Essential Items During Lockdown
- Coronavirus: A James Bond-Inspired Mobile App Helping TN Authorities
- Rs 50 Lakh Insurance Cover For Doctors, Healthcare Workers Fighting COVID-19
- Shikhar Dhawan Urges Indians To Donate
- How Coronavirus Has Wrecked Sports