Pakistan Army commandos raided cricketer Umar Gul's house in Peshawar and arrested his brother on charges of harbouring a wanted militant, according to a media report today.
The fast bowler's brother, Meraj, was arrested with two other men on charges of providing shelter to his uncle, Haji Daly, believed to be an active member of the banned
Lashkar-e-Islam, The Express Tribune reported.
A local resident told the newspaper that a team of commandos raided the house yesterday.
Two paramedics, Younas and Shakil, were among those arrested. They were moved to an undisclosed location.
An official of the local police station claimed Haji Daly was injured in an operation by armed forces at Bara in Khyber tribal region, and had fled to Peshawar and lived with Meraj for several days before leaving the city.
The Khyber Agency is a stronghold of the Lashkar-e-Islam.
"The injured man was brought to Hayatabad Medical Complex with two local paramedics who changed his bandages," the official said.
The injured man left the hospital without his identity being ascertained, he said.
Reports indicated that the two arrested paramedics are employees of a maternity home located adjacent to Gul’s house.
Gul's family owns the maternity home.
However, members of Gul's family declined to comment on the matter. A cousin of Gul confirmed that a raid had been carried out and three people were arrested.
Umar Gul's brother Meeraj Gul today claimed the raid on the family’s clinic was conducted due to a "misunderstanding" and that security forces had apologised to him.
"They came here due to a misunderstanding. They said some injured person had come (to the clinic) from Bara (in Khyber Agency)," Meeraj Gul told a TV news channel.
"But we convinced them that only patients suffering for illnesses like fever are treated here. We cannot treat patients who are (badly hurt) or bleeding heavily," he claimed.
Meeraj Gul claimed the personnel who conducted the raid later apologised to him.
He said one person in plainclothes and several others in uniform had carried out the raid.
Pak Army Raids Umar Gul's House, Arrests Brother
Rezaul H Laskar/Islamabad
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Who Next? The Big Fear Troubling Congress After Chidambaram’s Arrest
- Chidambaram Sent To CBI Custody Till August 26 In INX Media Case
- OPINION | Puppets On A Chain, Kashmir's 'Pro-India' Parties NC, PDP Dug Their Own Grave
- India's Fresh Challenge On Kashmir: Engage With Donald Trump But Without Opening Another Front
- ISRO Releases First Image Of Moon Captured By Chandrayaan-2
- Kashmiris Are Angry, Yet They Are Calm. Why?
- Indian Armed Forces, Civilians Continue To Bleed In Internal Conflicts, But Do We Care?
- On India's 73rd Independence Day, A Letter to Pehlu Khan
- The Valley Has Fallen Into Rigor Mortis
- BBC, Northern Ireland, And Kashmir – Where Shekhar Kapur Got It Wrong
- Euphoria On Abrogation Of Article 370 Is Wearing Off, Only Time Will Tell Full Meaning Of This Move
- INX Media: The Case That Led To Chidambaram's Downfall
- Chidambaram Spends Night At CBI Headquarters Whose Inauguration He Attended In 2011
- Will Swap 100 Acres Of Land For Ravidas Temple Construction: Kejriwal After Protesters Swarm Delhi
- Badminton Worlds: Sindhu, Praneeth Enter Quarters; Srikanth, Prannoy Out
- Oil Companies Stop Fuel Supply To Air India At Six Airports Due To Non-payment Of Dues
- Live, West Indies v India, 1st Test, Day 1, Antigua
- Rajiv Gandhi Got Massive Mandate In 1984, But Didn’t Use It To Create Atmosphere Of Fear: Sonia Gandhi
- Demonising Modi All The Time Won't Help, It's Time We Recognise His Work: Jairam Ramesh