Pakistan Army and the Election Commission will hold a meeting soon to decide on deploying troops for holding the upcoming general election in May in a peaceful and orderly manner.
"We have assured the Election Commission of Pakistan that we will provide all possible support for security," said Maj Gen Asim Saleem
Bajwa, the head of the Inter-Services Public Relations.
The Election Commission has held a meeting with army officials and another meeting would be arranged shortly to discuss the deployment of troops for security duties.
The poll panel will let the army know which polling stations are "sensitive" or "highly sensitive" and require special security arrangements so that voters can exercise their rights in a peaceful manner, Bajwa told
The News daily.
"After that, it will be easy for the army to chalk out the needed security plan," he said.
If desired by the Election Commission, soldiers will be detailed to provide security for transporting ballot papers to different areas, he said.
Bajwa said it would be premature to make an estimate about the number of soldiers who would be deployed for security duties. The picture will become clearer after a requisition is received from the poll panel.
The army will make available as many troops as would be needed for security, he said. The army, in coordination with police and law enforcement agencies, will prepare the overall security plan for the polls. The military will be called "in aid of civil power" in line with the Constitution.
Bajwa said it would be a "challenging task" in some areas of the country in view of the current security environment.
Analysts believe the security situation in parts of Balochistan, Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa and Punjab provinces and the financial hub of Karachi will provide challenges to the Election Commission.
The government is set to complete its five-year term on March 16 and polls are expected to be held sometime in May.
Pak Army, EC to Hold Meet Ahead of General Elections
Rezaul H Laskar/Islamabad
READ MORE IN:
THE LATEST ISSUE
- SACHIN'S PERSONAL DIARY: Sleeping Well, Varan-Bhaat And Pink Floyd – How 'God Of Cricket' Is Combating Coronavirus
- Highrises Of Nightmares! Why Coronavirus Will Extend Slowdown Period In Real Estate Sector
- Six People Who Attended Religious Congregation In Delhi Die Due To Coronavirus In Telengana
- 175 People From Nizamuddin Being Tested For Covid-19; Police To Register FIR Against Maulana
- Rebranding China In The Time Of Coronavirus
- Ramanand Sagar’s Ramayan Then and Now: Politics Of An Epic Kind
- Blog: Kashmiris Have Lived Through Many A Lockdown. They Could Advise World On How To Face One
- Dipak Misra Was Reviled As CJI But Ranjan Gogoi Beguiled His Way To Power
- Taking Up Hijab Against Coronavirus
- Seemingly Happiest People Often Suffer From Depression
- Blog | Not Music Or Art, But It's 'Fear' That Binds Us Together
- Meghalaya Allows Home Delivery Of Liquor On Health Grounds
- Coronavirus: With 4 Deaths In 24 Hrs, India Toll Reaches 29; Cases Rise To 1,071
- Tokyo Olympics Rescheduled For July 23-August 8 In 2021
- Migrant Workers Sprayed With Chemicals, Bareilly DM Admits 'Mistake'
- Corona Silences Tamil Nadu’s Majestic Nadhaswarams
- Leopard Spotted In Chandigarh’s Residential Area Amid Coronavirus Lockdown
- Will Stray Animals Survive The Coronavirus Lockdown?
- EXCLUSIVE | Simon Taufel Hails Virender Sehwag's Temperament, Humour