Inspired by anti-graft campaigner Anna Hazare, a Pakistani businessman says he will soon launch a "fast unto death" against corruption in his country and militarisation of South Asia.
Raja Jahangir Akhtar, 68, said he is hoping that his protest will lead to the introduction of an anti-corruption bill in Pakistan's parliament on the lines of the Lok Pal legislation sought by Hazare.
"I had campaigned against corruption in the past but I surrendered. Seeing Anna Hazare and the people of India standing up against corruption has given me the courage to take up this cause again," Akhtar, the owner of a shop in Islamabad's Super Market, told PTI.
Akhtar will begin his fast on September 12, after the end of the Islamic fasting month of Ramzan.
"The Leftists are supporting my protest. I am also banking on people to use the internet and social media to spread my message," he said.
The protest will mainly focus on ending corruption in Pakistan and countering the rapid militarization in the region.
"I see the Indian people backing Anna Hazare and I want to create a similar situation here," he said.
Akhtar, who has campaigned in the past on issues like rent control in the Pakistani capital, contended that the country's government and the opposition had taken no steps to tackle graft and economic problems like inflation.
"No one has a policy to take on these issues," he said.
The protest will try to build pressure on Pakistani politicians to introduce an anti-graft law and to ensure cuts in military spending.
Pak Anti-Graft Campaigner Inspired by Anna Protest
Rezaul H Laskar | Islamabad
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Durga Puja: TMC Upset With High Court Ban On Pandal Entry
- KKR Vs RCB: Siraj-Inspired Bangalore Hammer Kolkata
- Bengal’s ‘Most Wanted’ Gorkhaland Leader Snaps Ties With BJP
- Shimla: Water In The News, For The Right Reasons
- Kaziranga National Park Opens For Tourists After 7 Months
- Why Jofra Archer, Kagiso Rabada, Anrich Nortje Making IPL A Connoisseur’s Delight
- Chennai Super Kings' Belief In Shane Watson Surreal, But That's What MS Dhoni Is All About!
- IPL 2020: KL Rahul’s Record Century, Yuzvendra Chahal’s Clever Bowling Highlights Of Week 1
- IPL 2020: Emergence Of The Team Psychologist And T20 Spinner
- IPL 2020: Expect Run Outs, Batting Collapses And Run Freeze In Initial Matches In UAE
- Woman Scribes' Rift Over Rhea Chakraborty Exposes TV-Print Divide
- Kohli Celebrates Siraj's Dream Spell
- Rahul Gandhi’s Remark Puts Kerala Congress In A Spot
- NMC: Website 'Flouts' Law, Messes Up Organisational Structure
- Stalin, Palaniswami Locked In A Stately Duel
- Kangana Ranaut Summoned By Mumbai Police Next Week
- Central Govt Announces Rs. 3,737Cr Festive Bonus For 30.67 Lakh Employees
- Was It An Uprising Or A War?
- UCL: Shakhtar Stun Real Madrid