The visit of All India Majlis-e- Ittehadul Muslemin (MIM) chief Asaduddin Owaisi to AMU, scheduled for today, has been postponed after protests by BJP opposing his visit, the AMU Student's Union said.
The Students Union has "voluntarily decided to postpone the visit because we do not want to do anything to disturb the communal amity in the state", President of AMU Students Union Shahzad Alam said.
BJP yesterday staged a demonstration opposing visit by Akbaruddin Owaisi, who is facing charges of making hate speech, or his brother Asaduddin to Aligarh, claiming that it would breach peace in Uttar Pradesh.
Asaduddin Owaisi, Member of Lok Sabha from Hyderabad, had been invited by the AMU Students Union to participate in a seminar on the 'History of Aligarh college movement' being organised by the students union today.
Alam said it was "wrongly" alleged by the BJP that Asaduddin is facing charges for delivering hate speech whereas it was his brother Akbaruddin who is allegedly involved in the hate speech case.
The Students' Union leader said the decision to postpone the visit was taken in a meeting last night of District Magistrate Rajiv Routela and members of the students union.
Alam said he is writing a letter to the Chief Minister apprising him that the Students' Union had voluntarily decided to postpone the visit.
"At the same time, we also expect that the state government would take cognisance of the fact that some organisations associated with the BJP have tried to vitiate the atmosphere by preventing AMU teachers, students and the University football team from participating in academic programmes and sporting events in some educational institutions of the city," he said.
Meanwhile, spokesman of the AMU told PTI, "We were not involved either in the invitation to Owaisi, nor are we associated with any decision leading to the postponement of his visit. The matter rests entirely with the AMU Students' Union and the District authorities".
Owaisi's Proposed Visit to AMU Postponed After Protest
THE LATEST ISSUE
- STOP PRESS!
- Coronavirus: Rs 15,000 Crore Allocated To Strengthen Healthcare, Declares PM
- Coronavirus: Cases In India Rise To 519, Death Toll Reaches 10
- India Under Lockdown: Here Are The Services That Will Remain Open During Next 21 Days
- Postponing Tokyo Olympics: The Challenges, And Silver Lining
- Dipak Misra Was Reviled As CJI But Ranjan Gogoi Beguiled His Way To Power
- Taking Up Hijab Against Coronavirus
- Seemingly Happiest People Often Suffer From Depression
- Blog | Not Music Or Art, But It's 'Fear' That Binds Us Together
- Restructuring Indian Railways’ Cadres: Is The Proposal Good For The Nation?
- In Chasing Away Maoists, Odisha's Malkangiri Village Delivers Telling Message This R-Day
- 'Release All Detainees, Restore 4G': Omar 's First Word After Detention
- Economists, Activists Urge Govt For Coronavirus Relief Package For Poor
- Coronavirus Lockdown: Know Your Essential Services
- After Coronavirus, Man Dies Of Hantavirus In China: Report
- First Violence, Now Coronavirus, Delhi's Riot Victims Have Nowhere To Go
- Coronavirus: India Exercised Social Distancing Well, But Are We Prepared For Next Stage?
- Police Clear Anti-CAA Protest Site At Shaheen Bagh Amid COVID-19 Fears
- What Does Lockdown Mean For IPL?