Arunachal Pradesh Cabinet today decided to revoke its recent order on granting permanent resident certificate (PRC) to non-Arunachalees residing in the state.
"The Cabinet had decided to revoke the order honouring the public resentment on the issue", Chief Minister Dorjee Khandu told a press conference here today.
Khandu said, prior to the Cabinet meeting he had convened a Congress Legislature Party meeting, where it was unanimously decided to revoke the order in the backdrop of the recent protest made by various students' unions.
Khandu said, the decision was taken on humanitarian ground in favour of non-Arunachalees residing in the state with permanent land holdings and was not intended at providing them APST (Arunachal Pradesh State Tribal) status but enable them to get education and job benefits in rest of the country.
"The cabinet sub committee constituted by the state government on the issue had recommended for granting PRCs to those non-Arunachalees who came to the state before 1968", Khandu added.
The issue had recently snowballed into a major crisis in the state with various students' organisations spearheaded by All Arunachal Pradesh Students' Union (AAPSU) protesting tooth and nail and resorting to a series of mass movement.
According to the agitating organisations, granting of PRC to non-Arunachalees would jeopardise the very existence of the indigenous tribal population of the state.
Order on PRC to Non-Arunachalees Revoked
THE LATEST ISSUE
- MSD: Three Musketeers Who Engineered Kashmir's Bloodless Coup But Are Their Plans Sustainable?
- Finance Minister Announces Slew Of Measures To Boost Economy Amid Slowdown
- Rahul Gandhi, Other Opposition Leaders To Visit Jammu and Kashmir Today
- Brazil's Bolsonaro Authorizes Army To Help Fight Raging Amazon Fires
- 1st Test, Day 2: Ishant Sharma Puts IND On Top, WI Trail By 108 Runs
- Kashmiris Are Angry, Yet They Are Calm. Why?
- Indian Armed Forces, Civilians Continue To Bleed In Internal Conflicts, But Do We Care?
- On India's 73rd Independence Day, A Letter to Pehlu Khan
- The Valley Has Fallen Into Rigor Mortis
- BBC, Northern Ireland, And Kashmir – Where Shekhar Kapur Got It Wrong
- Euphoria On Abrogation Of Article 370 Is Wearing Off, Only Time Will Tell Full Meaning Of This Move
- PM Modi Arrives In UAE To Strenghten Bilateral Ties
- Home, Vehicle, Other Retail Loans To Become Cheaper: FM Nirmala Sitharaman
- Death By Debt: Indian Businesses Are Devastated, Tax Terror Adds To Woes
- New India Will Not Allow Loot Of Money: PM Modi To Indian Diaspora In France
- WATCH: Decoding What Nirmala Sitharaman's Announcements To Boost Economy Mean
- 2 Dead, Several Feared Trapped As Building Collapses In Maharashtra’s Bhiwandi
- Sourav Ganguly Comes In Defence Of Rahul Dravid In Conflict Of Interest Case
- Sindhu Enters Semis At World Championships