The move to set up a memorial for those killed during 'Operation Blue Star' in Golden Temple has set the alarm bells ringing as the Home Ministry fears that it could resurrect militancy in Punjab.
Official sources said the Ministry is keenly watching the developments in Punjab where bricks for the memorial were laid by the five Sikh head priests along with Jatehedar Akal Takht Gyani Gurbachan Singh and SGPC President Avtar Singh Makkar on the 28th anniversary of Operation Blue Star on June 6.
"It is a very disturbing development as the occasion was marked with separatist and anti-India slogans," a senior official said.
The Centre is particularly worried that Pakistan's intelligence agency ISI has been constantly trying to revive militancy in Punjab with the help of banned Babbar Khalsa International.
For the last five years, Pakistani diplomats and ISI officers have been meeting separatist Sikh leaders regularly in Europe and America and encouraging and helping them to revive militancy in Punjab, the sources said.
The Home Ministry is also watching the move of radical Sikh groups Damdami Taksal and Dal Khalsa which are holding meetings across Punjab and honouring family members of 220 'martyrs' killed on June 6, 1984.
"So far we are keenly watching. If things go out of hands, we will have to act," the officer said.
The Operation Blue Star was launched by the army on June 6 in 1984 to flush out holed-up Sikh militants led by their leader Jarnail Singh Bhindrawale, who was killed along with his associates in the Golden Temple.
Operation Blue Star Memorial in Punjab Worries Centre
THE LATEST ISSUE
- As Assam CM, Himanta Biswa Sarma Finally Lives His Dream
- GST Exemption On Vaccine, Covid Drugs Will Make Them Costlier: FM Nirmala Sitharaman
- ‘I Would Like To Play Women Who Are Irresponsible': Konkona Sen
- Lockdown In Delhi Extended Till May 17: Arvind Kejriwal
- Tamil Nadu's New Health Minister MA Subramanian Is Also A Marathon Runner
- India In England: Prithvi Shaw Unlucky, Hardik Pandya Needs To Prove All-rounder Credentials
- Online Real Money Gaming: Why Present Is Imperfect And Future Is Tense
- For IPL Organisers, Loss Of Revenue Seems More Important Than Loss Of Lives Due To COVID
- Why Should Boys Have All The Fun? Sports For One And All!
- Why Virat Kohli Is Right And ICC Wrong: A Philosopher Looks At DRS
- Led By Debutants Why Indian Cricket Is On Top Of The World
- Cong Leader Mallikarjun Kharge Urges PM Modi To Hold All-Party Meeting
- Talks For National Alliance Of Opposition Parties To Start Soon: Raut
- YouTuber Rahul Vohra Dies Hours After Predicting His Death On Facebook
- Sikh Body Provides Oxygen Concentrators To Covid Patients
- Youth Congress President Steps Into Sonu Sood’s Shoes
- How India’s Top Sports Institution Let Covid Breach Elite Training Camps
- Lewis Hamilton Wins Record-equalling Sixth Spanish Grand Prix
- Remainder Of IPL 2021 Can't Happen In India, Says Sourav Ganguly