Women make only nine per cent of all MLAs in the five assemblies to which elections were held recently and their number has actually gone down from 80 in 2006 to 72 in 2011, according to a study.
Despite promises by political parties to increase representation of the fair sex, the percentage of MLAs in the new assemblies is even below that of women MPs in the Lok Sabha (11 per cent), says the analysis by Association for Democratic Reforms (ADR) and National Election Watch.
The study points out that among the 824 newly-elected MLAs in Assam, Kerala, Puducherry, Tamil Nadu and West Bengal, only 72 are women.
West Bengal has the highest number of women MLAs -- 34 (12 per cent of the strength of assembly), followed by Assam with 14 (11 per cent), Tamil Nadu 17 (seven per cent) and Kerala 7 (five per cent).
Puducherry Assembly does not have any woman as MLA.
Party-wise, the highest number of women MLAs are from Trinamool Congress -- 24 (13 per cent), followed by Congress -- 17 (10 per cent) and AIADMK -- 12 (8 per cent).
A total of 19 (26 per cent) women MLAs out of the total of 72 are crorepatis. The maximum number of crorepati women MLAs is from Tamil Nadu (9) followed by Assam (6) and West Bengal (4), says the study.
The top two women MLAs with highest assets are Jayalalitha (AIADMK) from Tamil Nadu (Rs 51.4 crore) followed by Kasturi Das (Trinamool) from West Bengal (Rs 7.2 crore).
Thirteen women MLAs out of 72 (18 per cent) have pending criminal cases against them. Comparatively, 244 men MLAs out of a total of 752 (32 per cent) have pending criminal cases against them, according to the study.
Only 9% Women MLAs in Five New Assemblies: Study
READ MORE IN:
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Bhima-Koregaon Case: 84-Year-Old Activist Stan Swamy Sent To Judicial Custody Till Oct 23
- RR Vs DC: Hetmyer Stars For Delhi In Big Win
- Hateras And Us: Dalit Death Symptom Of Graver Malaise
- Lalu Yadav Will Not Be Able To Campaign In Bihar Polls Despite Getting Bail
- If There’s Evidence Of TRP Manipulations, I&B Ministry Can Cancel Channel's Licence: Manish Tewari
- Chennai Super Kings' Belief In Shane Watson Surreal, But That's What MS Dhoni Is All About!
- IPL 2020: KL Rahul’s Record Century, Yuzvendra Chahal’s Clever Bowling Highlights Of Week 1
- IPL 2020: Emergence Of The Team Psychologist And T20 Spinner
- IPL 2020: Expect Run Outs, Batting Collapses And Run Freeze In Initial Matches In UAE
- Woman Scribes' Rift Over Rhea Chakraborty Exposes TV-Print Divide
- Brace For Exciting England-Australia Clash As Old Enemies Meet In New World
- Dhoni's Daughter Ziva Gets Rape Threats After CSK's Poor Performance
- ‘Journalism In Ladakh Is Growing’, Says New Head Of Leh's Press Club
- End Of An Era: Amul Pays Tribute To Mumbai’s Premier Padmini Taxis
- Staff Crunch Halts Airing Of Modi's Mann Ki Baat In 10 Countries
- Rs 10 Crore Fine Ready, Sasikala May Walk Out Of Jail Any Time Now: Lawyer
- India Test-Fires Its First Anti-Radiation Missile 'Rudram-1'
- Use Of IoT In Supply Chain Will Bring Down Product Cost: NASSCOM
- ISL: East Bengal Appoint Liverpool Legend Robbie Fowler As Head Coach