Union Petroleum Minister Murli Deora today said the Government would be incurring total under-recoveries of about Rs 59,000-crore on essential petroleum products for 2010-11.
Of the total under-recoveries, about Rs 18,000-crore would come from LPG alone, Deora said at an event organised by the All India LPG Distributors Federation.
"The Government has always ensured that LPG is available to the common man at affordable prices, even when crude oil touched an all-time high of US 143 per barrel. However, due to this we had to suffer under recoveries of around Rs one-lakh-crore during 2008-09. We might incur about Rs 59,000-crore this fiscal," Deora said.
On the demand for petroleum products, Deora said it is expected to go up consistently, which would put pressure on the supply-chain and also increase the burden of under-recoveries on oil marketing companies (OMCs).
"Increasing demand for petroleum products would result in more foreign exchange out-go for import of crude oil as India imports more than 75 per cent of its crude oil requirements," he added.
On exports, Deora said that the oil industry has exported 51-million tonnes of refined petroleum products worth USD 30-billion in FY 10, the largest foreign exchange earner in the merchandised category.
Deora said that the supply of petroleum products in India could get a boost with the commissioning of three refineries coming up at Bina, Bhathinda and Paradip in the next two-years. This would increase India's refining capacity to about 240-million tonnes by 2012 from 185-million tonnes presently.
On natural gas, Deora said that the domestic production of natural gas increased from 80 MMSCMD in 2008-09 to 140 MMSCMD, up 75 per cent.
"By 2015, natural gas would be provided in more than 200 cities as piped gas in home and transportation sector. The PSUs are expanding their existing infrastructure to achieve this," he added.
Oil Firms Under-Recoveries at Rs 59,00 Crore: Deora
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Hathras Case | Options Being Explored To Defend Accused: Former BJP MLA At Caste-Based Meet
- KXIP Vs CSK LIVE: Good Start From Chennai Openers; 41/0 (5)
- Covid-19 And The Dream Of Aatma Nirbhar Bharat
- LJP Goes Solo In Bihar Polls, But Will Chirag Paswan Prove To Be The New Mausam Vaigyanik?
- Hathras Case: UP Police Lathicharges RLD Leader, Party Stages Protest
- IPL 2020: KL Rahul’s Record Century, Yuzvendra Chahal’s Clever Bowling Highlights Of Week 1
- IPL 2020: Emergence Of The Team Psychologist And T20 Spinner
- IPL 2020: Expect Run Outs, Batting Collapses And Run Freeze In Initial Matches In UAE
- Woman Scribes' Rift Over Rhea Chakraborty Exposes TV-Print Divide
- Brace For Exciting England-Australia Clash As Old Enemies Meet In New World
- Sports And National Education Policy: A Flawed Understanding
- In The TIME Of Bilkis Bano As Dadi Cool
- Piyush Goyal Inaugurates Kolkata's Phoolbagan Station
- Hathras Case: Editors Guild Condemns UP Govt For Obstructing Media
- Pandey's Stunning Take Is A Thing Of Beauty
- PM Modi A Puppet In Hands Of Ambani-Adani: Rahul Gandhi At Tractor Rally
- Fifty Years Of Satyajit Ray's Aranyer Din Ratri
- Mission Bengal: A Saffron Experiment
- French Open: Nadal Makes Light Work Of Korda In Gusty Paris