Nancy J Powell, a career diplomat, who has earlier held diplomatic positions in India and also served as the American envoy to Pakistan, has been named the next US Ambassador to New Delhi.
64-year-old Powell, nominated by President Barack Obama for the coveted post, would be the first woman US Ambassador to India and replace Timothy J Roemer, who resigned from his post in April 2011 following a two-year stint, if her appointment is confirmed by the Senate.
Peter Burleigh is currently serving as the Charge d'affaires of the US embassy in India.
Powell, a career member of the Senior Foreign Service, earlier served as US Ambassador to Pakistan and Nepal and also held various diplomatic posts in Kolkata, New Delhi, Dhaka, Kathmandu, Islamabad and Ottawa.
She was US Ambassador to Pakistan from August 2002 to October 2004. She was appointed to the top diplomatic post in Pakistan when the US was first seeking Islamabad's cooperation in fighting al-Qaeda and the Taliban after the September 11, 2001, attacks.
"These fine public servants both bring a depth of experience and tremendous dedication to their new roles," Obama said in a statement announcing Powell's appointment and that of Dick Berner, who has been named Director, Office of Financial Research, Department of Treasury.
"Our nation will be well-served by these individuals, and I look forward to working with them in the months and years to come," he said.
Presently serving as Director General of the Foreign Service and Director of Human Resources at the Department of State, Powell was conferred the personal rank of Career Ambassador in January 2011.
Obama Names Nancy Powell As Ambassador to India
Lalit K Jha/Washington
THE LATEST ISSUE
- With 12,651 New Infections, Delhi Logs Lowest Daily Caseload In 4 Weeks
- Citing Covid Situation Cong Again Defers Internal Poll To Elect New Chief
- Clueless Congress Continues To Stumble From One Electoral Defeat To Another
- 1st Priority Is To Contain Covid: CM Himanta Biswa Sarma
- Why High Antibody Doesn’t Guarantee Protection From Covid-19?
- Born April 18, Died April 20: The Spectacular Fall Of European Super League And Its Aftermath
- India In England: Prithvi Shaw Unlucky, Hardik Pandya Needs To Prove All-rounder Credentials
- Online Real Money Gaming: Why Present Is Imperfect And Future Is Tense
- For IPL Organisers, Loss Of Revenue Seems More Important Than Loss Of Lives Due To COVID
- Why Should Boys Have All The Fun? Sports For One And All!
- Why Virat Kohli Is Right And ICC Wrong: A Philosopher Looks At DRS
- India's Battle Against Covid: Grim Reaper Stalks The Land
- Lancet Slams Modi Govt for Stoking a ‘Self-Inflicted National Catastrophe’
- Delhi’s Covaxin Stock Will Run Out In A Day: Satyendar Jain
- Japan, UNDP To Provide Oxygen Plants To Northeast States
- Can You Get Covid After Vaccination?
- RSS- BJP Tussle Behind Kerala Poll Drubbing?
- Bach Cancels Japan Trip Because Of COVID Cases
- Wrestling's Image Tarnished Due To Accusations Against Sushil Kumar: WFI