After kicking up a row over his description of Congress as an old woman, BJP's star campaigner and Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi today said he would now call the party "Gudiya Congress" instead of a "Budhia".
"If my friends did not like my comments about the age of the Congress
or my calling it a 'Budhia' Congress, then I will not call it an old
party. But, will this make the Congress younger," he asked at an election
rally at Shravasti in Bahraich district.
"From today, I will call the Congress a Gudiya Congress (Doll Congress)," the BJP stalwart said.
"The statements of the Congress about my description of the party as a
125-year-old woman shows they have accepted that their party is of a
particular family," he said.
"If they have to talk of 125 years, then they have to take names of Purshottam Das Tondon, Sarder Patel and Subhash Chandra Bose.
"But, if they do this, then this will lessen the importance of the family ruling the party," Modi said.
Modi's "budhiya" comments had evoked sharp criticism from the Congress party. Taking up cudgels on behalf of the Congress, Priyanka Gandhi, the 37-year-old daughter of party president Sonia Gandhi, had also asked Modi earlier whether she looked old.
Reacting to Priyanka Gandhi's reaction to his remarks, the BJP leader
without taking her name said, "I have told the age of the Congress, but
the Congressmen have started telling their age."
Priyanka, however, today said in Amethi, "I think it is ridiculous. I don't see why we
are discussing 'budhia' and 'gudiya' when we should be discussing
development. We should be discussing the economy. We should discuss
things that matter."
Union Minister of state for Home Sriprakash Jaiswal told reporters that BJP probably has forgotten that an old person heads the family while youngsters support him to run it. Similarly Congress is also running the party with old and young together.
He said Congress has young leaders like Rahul and Priyanka Gandhi, Sachin Pilot, Jyotiraditya Scindia and Jatin Prasad unlike BJP.
The old people of Congress have blessed the country and Congress has always respected the old, he said.
On Modi's comment on Priyanka Gandhi, Jaiswal said when Indira Gandhi took over the reigns of the country many passed such comments, in spite of that she gave a strong leadership to the country. Priyanka can also do the same if she gets a chance, the Congress leader added.
Meanwhile, All India Congress Committee (AICC) general secretary B Hariprasad said, "The man who made the statement on the old age of the Congress party must implement his statement on his own political party. First he should dump Atal Bihari Vajpayee and the oldest man who is in hurry to become Prime Minister L K Advani in the Arabian sea," .
"The culture of a person, society or nation is measured on how they treat children, women and aged people," he said.
He said Congress strongly believes in the tradition and heritage of the country. "I have got nothing to say about BJP which always raises non issues," he added.
Now Modi Changes Cong From Budiya to Gudiya
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Virat, Rohit Split Indian Team; Shastri Partial Coach: Damning Report After Bitter World Cup Exit
- Second Round Of Talks On Kartarpur Corridor Between India, Pakistan Begins At Wagah
- Rebel Karnataka MLAs Locked In Hectic Parleys, BJP Demands Trust Vote On Monday
- Five Talking Points As NZ, ENG Go Head-To-Head For World Cup Glory
- 20-Hour Countdown For Launch Of Chandrayaan-2 From Sriharikota Begins
- Kashmir Press Club Polls: For Dignity Of 'Unbuttoned Shirts' And Space to Exchange Ideas
- Kangana Ranaut Needs To Learn From Big B, Salman Khan On Spat With Media
- India Lacks Innovation. If You Don't Believe It, Just Look At Who Dominates Our Smartphone Market
- Cricket Intolerance Is The New Alarming Phenomenon In India
- Let Not 'Jai Shri Ram' Be Misused As 'Allahu Akbar'
- Trump's America Is Once Again Locking Horns With Iran. What Should India Do?
- Boxer Vijender Singh Defeats Mike Snider To Continue Winning Streak
- Abandoned Packet Containing Gold Bar Triggers Bomb Scare At IGI Airport
- 7 Dead, Over 14 Lakh Affected As Flood Situation Worsens in Assam
- 107 MLAs, Majority From TMC, To Join BJP Soon: Mukul Roy
- Police Head Constable Beaten To Death By Mob In Rajasthan
- Times Square Billboards Flicked Off, Subway Services Hit As NYC Plunges Into Darkness
- Movie Review | Super 30 Can Be Watched For Both Anand Kumar And Hrithik Roshan
- No India In Final, But Here Are Five Genuine Reasons To Watch ENG Vs NZ Clash