Noted cartoonist Mario Miranda passed away today at his residence near here, sources close to his family said.
He was 85.
The veteran cartoonist, who has left an indelible mark in his field with his inimitable style, died in his sleep this morning at his ancestral home in Loutolim village, about 40km from here, Gerald D'Cunha, a family friend of Miranda, said
Miranda's creations like Miss Numbupani and Miss Fonseca were regularly featured in 'Femina', 'Economic Times' and 'The Illustrated Weekly of India'.
Miranda studied at St Joseph's Boys High School, Bangalore and obtained BA (History) from the prestigious St Xavier's College in Mumbai.
Initially, he was interested in joining the elite Indian Administrative Service (IAS) but changed his mind and started studying architecture on his parents' insistence, according to family sources.
Soon he lost interest in architecture too and ventured into arts. He started his career in an advertising studio and worked for four years before taking up cartooning.
Miranda got his first break when 'The Illustrated Weekly of India' (now defunct) published a few of his cartoons. He also received offer from 'Current' magazine.
A year later, he was offered job in 'The Times of India'.
He got an opportunity to travel abroad after winning Fundacao Calouste Gulbenkian scholarship. He went to Portugal and then to London, where he worked for newspapers and in television animations.
During his career spanning several decades, Miranda illustrated numerous books, including 'Inside Goa' by Manohar Malgaonkar, 'A Family in Goa' and 'The Open Eyes' by Dom Moraes.
The artist received many national and international honours, including 'Padma Bhushan', the third highest civilian award of the country, in 2002 and Padma Shri in 1988.
Miranda is survived by wife and two sons.
The last rites will be performed tomorrow, family sources said.
Also see: On Flickr
Noted Cartoonist Mario Miranda Dead
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Live Updates: Arun Jaitley's Funeral Procession Reaches Nigambodh Ghat, Cremation Shortly
- Shashi Tharoor Pens Tribute, Says Arun Jaitley Was Every Non-BJP Person’s Favourite BJP Person
- Replug | The Importance Of Being Arun Jaitley
- ‘We Considered Ourselves Indians, Had No Second Thoughts. But Now Govt Has Changed Everything.’
- Spilling The Beans: How Murky Was Cafe Coffee Day Founder VG Siddartha's Death
- Kashmiris Are Angry, Yet They Are Calm. Why?
- Indian Armed Forces, Civilians Continue To Bleed In Internal Conflicts, But Do We Care?
- On India's 73rd Independence Day, A Letter to Pehlu Khan
- The Valley Has Fallen Into Rigor Mortis
- BBC, Northern Ireland, And Kashmir – Where Shekhar Kapur Got It Wrong
- Euphoria On Abrogation Of Article 370 Is Wearing Off, Only Time Will Tell Full Meaning Of This Move
- Nothing More 'Anti-National' Than Shutting Down Of Democratic Rights In Kashmir: Priyanka Gandhi
- '..Our Voice Being Taken Away,': IAS Officer Hailed During Kerala Floods Quits
- PM Modi Gives Nationwide Call To Observe September As 'Poshan Abhiyaan'
- I Am Disappointed With Myself: KL Rahul
- PM Modi Reveals How Bear Grylls Conversed With Him In Hindi In 'Man Vs Wild' Special Episode
- PM Modi Meets Bahraini Crown Prince, Conferred 'The King Hamad Order Of The Renaissance'
- World Badminton: PV Sindhu, Kento Momota Eye Titles In Basel
- NASA Investigating First Crime Committed In Space: Report