Noted cartoonist Mario Miranda passed away today at his residence near here, sources close to his family said.
He was 85.
The veteran cartoonist, who has left an indelible mark in his field with his inimitable style, died in his sleep this morning at his ancestral home in Loutolim village, about 40km from here, Gerald D'Cunha, a family friend of Miranda, said
Miranda's creations like Miss Numbupani and Miss Fonseca were regularly featured in 'Femina', 'Economic Times' and 'The Illustrated Weekly of India'.
Miranda studied at St Joseph's Boys High School, Bangalore and obtained BA (History) from the prestigious St Xavier's College in Mumbai.
Initially, he was interested in joining the elite Indian Administrative Service (IAS) but changed his mind and started studying architecture on his parents' insistence, according to family sources.
Soon he lost interest in architecture too and ventured into arts. He started his career in an advertising studio and worked for four years before taking up cartooning.
Miranda got his first break when 'The Illustrated Weekly of India' (now defunct) published a few of his cartoons. He also received offer from 'Current' magazine.
A year later, he was offered job in 'The Times of India'.
He got an opportunity to travel abroad after winning Fundacao Calouste Gulbenkian scholarship. He went to Portugal and then to London, where he worked for newspapers and in television animations.
During his career spanning several decades, Miranda illustrated numerous books, including 'Inside Goa' by Manohar Malgaonkar, 'A Family in Goa' and 'The Open Eyes' by Dom Moraes.
The artist received many national and international honours, including 'Padma Bhushan', the third highest civilian award of the country, in 2002 and Padma Shri in 1988.
Miranda is survived by wife and two sons.
The last rites will be performed tomorrow, family sources said.
Also see: On Flickr
Noted Cartoonist Mario Miranda Dead
THE LATEST ISSUE
- As Assam CM, Himanta Biswa Sarma Finally Lives His Dream
- GST Exemption On Vaccine, Covid Drugs Will Make Them Costlier: FM Nirmala Sitharaman
- ‘I Would Like To Play Women Who Are Irresponsible': Konkona Sen
- Lockdown In Delhi Extended Till May 17: Arvind Kejriwal
- Tamil Nadu's New Health Minister MA Subramanian Is Also A Marathon Runner
- India In England: Prithvi Shaw Unlucky, Hardik Pandya Needs To Prove All-rounder Credentials
- Online Real Money Gaming: Why Present Is Imperfect And Future Is Tense
- For IPL Organisers, Loss Of Revenue Seems More Important Than Loss Of Lives Due To COVID
- Why Should Boys Have All The Fun? Sports For One And All!
- Why Virat Kohli Is Right And ICC Wrong: A Philosopher Looks At DRS
- Led By Debutants Why Indian Cricket Is On Top Of The World
- Cong Leader Mallikarjun Kharge Urges PM Modi To Hold All-Party Meeting
- Talks For National Alliance Of Opposition Parties To Start Soon: Raut
- YouTuber Rahul Vohra Dies Hours After Predicting His Death On Facebook
- Sikh Body Provides Oxygen Concentrators To Covid Patients
- Youth Congress President Steps Into Sonu Sood’s Shoes
- How India’s Top Sports Institution Let Covid Breach Elite Training Camps
- Lewis Hamilton Wins Record-equalling Sixth Spanish Grand Prix
- Remainder Of IPL 2021 Can't Happen In India, Says Sourav Ganguly