North Korea today added an important title to the fast-growing credentials of its untested new ruler, referring to the youngest son of late leader Kim Jong-Il as head of a key ruling party body.
In a move that experts said shows the successor is on track to take full control of the secretive nation, the ruling party newspaper hailed Jong-Un as head of its Central Committee.
"Let's stake our lives to safeguard the party's Central Committee led by dear comrade Kim Jong-Un," Rodong Sinmun said.
Jong-Un, in his late 20s, has already been touted as "great successor" and "supreme commander" of the military since his father died on December 17 of a heart attack at the age of 69.
Usually the head of the Central Committee -- a top decision-making body -- is also its general secretary, a position previously held by Kim Jong-Il.
"Jong-Un has not officially taken over as general secretary, but he is expected to inherit it and other posts held by his father," Dongguk University professor Kim Yong-Hyun told AFP.
The late Kim also chaired the all-powerful National Defence Commission and headed the 1.19 million-strong military.
Officially, Jong-Un's current highest post is vice-chairman of the party's Central Military Commission.
The North's official media heaped more praise on Jong-Un, describing him as a "tender-hearted man" who sent hot, sweet drinks to mourners braving freezing conditions in the capital Pyongyang.
The isolated state is making final preparations for what is expected to be an elaborate funeral for Kim on Wednesday that will be closely watched for clues about the powers at the side of the new ruler.
North Korea Burnishes New Ruler's Credentials
THE LATEST ISSUE
- 2 CRPF Personnel Killed, 3 Injured In Terrorist Attack In South Kashmir’s Pampore
- CBI Carries Out Searches At Congress Leader DK Shivakumar's Premises
- Hathras Case: Forensic Report That Denied Rape Contains No Value, Say Medical Experts
- RCB Vs DC: Battle Of Equals In Dubai
- Covid-19 And The Dream Of Aatma Nirbhar Bharat
- IPL 2020: KL Rahul’s Record Century, Yuzvendra Chahal’s Clever Bowling Highlights Of Week 1
- IPL 2020: Emergence Of The Team Psychologist And T20 Spinner
- IPL 2020: Expect Run Outs, Batting Collapses And Run Freeze In Initial Matches In UAE
- Woman Scribes' Rift Over Rhea Chakraborty Exposes TV-Print Divide
- Brace For Exciting England-Australia Clash As Old Enemies Meet In New World
- Sports And National Education Policy: A Flawed Understanding
- IAF Well Positioned To Deal With Any Threat: Air Chief RKS Bhadauria
- JEE-Advanced Results Announced, Pune Boy Chirag Falor Tops Exam
- BJP Leader Shot Dead In West Bengal
- Pandey's Stunning Take Is A Thing Of Beauty
- Noida Police Apologises For Manhandling Priyanka, Orders Probe
- Scientists Say ‘Feluda’ Test Could Help India Battle COVID-19
- Hathras Case: Protests Staged At Times Square
- EPL Champions Liverpool Concede Seven Goals For First Time In 57 Years