Law Minister Salman Khurshid, who has courted controversy by his statement on granting 9 per cent quota for minorities, today said he had no regrets as he had not done anything unlawful.
"No. Why should I regret? You regret when you do something unlawful," he told reporters while emerging from a meeting of the Group of Ministers on Bhopal gas tragedy.
Khurshid made the promise of nine per cent sub-quota for muslims within the existing 27 per cent OBC quota in Farrukhabad Assembly Constituency in Uttar Pradesh where his wife Louise is in the fray.
He was slapped with a notice on Tuesday by the Election Commission which held that prima facie his promise on sub-quota for backward muslims within existing 27 per cent OBC quota was "serious violation" of the model code of conduct.
He replied to the notice yesterday, defending his statement by citing the 2009 Congress poll manifesto in which the party had promised to provide for a sub-quota for minorities.
"We have to file a reply. How can you not file a reply? Yes, I have filed the reply," the Minister said when asked about it.
Queried whether he felt it was a mistake to make such a statement, he shot back, "If I say you that I committed a mistake, what will be my reply?"
When pointed out that Chief Election Commissioner S Y Quraishi had complained to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh about his earlier statement suggesting the Law Ministry's control over the Election Commission, Khurshid was dismissive, claiming "no complaint has been made".
No Regrets Over Statement on Sub-Quota: Khurshid
THE LATEST ISSUE
- CBI Quizzes Chidambaram In INX Media Case, Produced In Special CBI Court
- 'Broad Daylight Murder Of Law, Democracy': Cong Lashes Out At Govt Over Chidambaram's Arrest
- With P. Chidambaram's Arrest, His Anticipatory Bail Plea Before SC Rendered Infructuous
- MP CM Kamal Nath's Nephew Ratul Puri Moves Court To Surrender In AgustaWestland Case
- India's Fresh Challenge On Kashmir: Engage With Donald Trump But Without Opening Another Front
- Kashmiris Are Angry, Yet They Are Calm. Why?
- Indian Armed Forces, Civilians Continue To Bleed In Internal Conflicts, But Do We Care?
- On India's 73rd Independence Day, A Letter to Pehlu Khan
- The Valley Has Fallen Into Rigor Mortis
- BBC, Northern Ireland, And Kashmir – Where Shekhar Kapur Got It Wrong
- Euphoria On Abrogation Of Article 370 Is Wearing Off, Only Time Will Tell Full Meaning Of This Move
- INX Media Case: 20 Questions CBI Asked P Chidambaram
- Etawah 'Ragging' Case: Police, VC Deny Medical Students Were Forced To Shave Heads
- March To Delhi Temple Demolition Site Was 'Personal Decision': Dalit Body
- NDA Candidate Against Rahul Gandhi In Wayanad Arrested In UAE
- WATCH: Guns Fail To Fire Shots During Ex-Bihar CM Jagannath Mishra's State Honours Ceremony
- Oppn Protests At Jantar Mantar, Demands Release Of Detained J&K Leaders
- Kohli Hints At Four-Bowler Strategy Vs WI
- Live, 1st Test, Day 1: SL Win Toss, Opt To Bat First Vs NZ