The United States has expressed hope that the fall of LTTEs de-facto capital of Kilinochchi would end decades of ethnic conflict in Sri Lanka and said there was no need to hold talks with the Tiger rebels.
"The war which has gripped the island nation for more than 25 years is drawing to an end," the US Embassy said in a statement here.
"Particularly, the liberation of the LTTE stronghold of Kilinochchi can be considered as the final phase in the war against Tamil Tigers," the Embassy was quoted as saying in a Sri Lankan government release.
"The US is confident that a political solution will be found with the operations drawing to close and all communities will receive the opportunity of living in a peaceful environment," the release said.
"The fall of Kilinochchi represents an important point in the 25-year war that has divided Sri Lanka. We hope that this event will help hasten an end to the conflict," the American embassy stated.
"We believe that a lasting and sustainable peace can best be achieved if the Lankan Government now works on reaching a political solution that addresses the aspirations of all Sri Lankans, including Tamils, Muslims and Sinhalese," the statement said.
"The United States does not advocate that the Government of Sri Lanka negotiate with the LTTE, a group designated by America as a Foreign Terrorist Organization since 1997," it said.
"However, we do believe that a broad range of other Tamil voices and opinions must be brought into a political process to reach a political solution that Tamils inside and outside of Sri Lanka see as legitimate," it added.
The statement said that this would help assure Tamils that their rights were protected, that they had a say over important issues of their lives in geographical areas in which they predominate, and that they were an integral and respected part of an undivided Sri Lanka.
At the same time, such moves would further delegitimize and erode the support of the LTTE in Sri Lanka and abroad," it said.
No Need to Negotiate with LTTE: US to Lanka
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Communal Corona? Is It Justified To Blame Tablighi Jamaat For Nizamuddin Outbreak?
- Chemists Claim Shortage of Essential Medicines Due To Hoarding & Panic Buying
- Coronavirus: With 146 New Infections, Cases In India Climb to 1,397; Death Toll Reaches 35
- Is Coronavirus Sexually Transmitted And Other Questions People Want To Ask
- Tendulkar's 'Coronavirus' Diary: Unplugged Music, TV Serials And Lot Of Sleep
- Ramanand Sagar’s Ramayan Then and Now: Politics Of An Epic Kind
- Blog: Kashmiris Have Lived Through Many A Lockdown. They Could Advise World On How To Face One
- Dipak Misra Was Reviled As CJI But Ranjan Gogoi Beguiled His Way To Power
- Taking Up Hijab Against Coronavirus
- Seemingly Happiest People Often Suffer From Depression
- Blog | Not Music Or Art, But It's 'Fear' That Binds Us Together
- FIR Filed Against Tablighi Jamaat Maulana
- India Needs Aggressive Measures To Protect Marginalised In These Times
- Recession To Hit World Economy With Likely Exception Of India, China: UN
- Spain Sees Record Death Toll With 849 Fatalities In 24 Hours: Govt
- Another Leopard Spotted In Chandigarh, Cops Ask People To Stay Indoors
- Hit Void: Who Would Like To Wipe A Year In Sport From The Records?
- From Akshay-Salman To Janhvi-Sara Ali Khan, Corona Will Spare None
- With $2.7B Reserves, FIFA Has 'Duty' To Aid Football