Foreign Secretary Nirupama Rao today got a seven-month extension with the government deciding to have a tenure of up to two years in the key post.
The union cabinet, at a meeting chaired by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, approved a proposal to amend the relevant rules to provide extension in service to the Foreign Secretary for such period or periods as many be considered necessary in public interest, subject to the condition that the total term in the post does not exceed two years.
Rao, who assumed charge as Foreign Secretary on August 1 last year, will remain in the post till July 31 next year.
In the absence of the amendment, Rao would have retired on superannuation on December 6.
The decision was taken as the government felt the assignment of Foreign Secretary has "increasingly acquired critical dimensions from national security and strategic perspective and the need to ensure continuity and swiftness in the decision-making process", an official release said.
Nirupama Gets Seven-Month Extension
THE LATEST ISSUE
- ISIS Claims Responsibility For Sri Lanka Bombings That Killed Over 300 People: Report
- Lok Sabha Elections LIVE:61.31% Total Voter Turnout Till 5:30pm
- SC Sends Notice To Rahul Gandhi Over Rafale Comment, Says Not Satisfied With His Reply
- BLOG | In Politics, Sunny Deol Will Have To Wait For Taarikh After Taarikh To Get Things Done
- SC Seeks Response From Lawyer Bains Who Claimed Conspiracy Against CJI Ranjan Gogoi
- In Politics, Sunny Deol Will Have To Wait For Taarikh After Taarikh To Get Things Done
- Leaders Know Political Rhetoric Needs To Be Entertaining, Otherwise Rallies Are Boring
- Chennai’s Famous Historian S. Muthiah Is No More
- 'Let's Ask The Congress Spokesperson...Wait, Where's The Congress Spokesperson? We Just Lost The Link'
- Why NaMo TV Should Not Be Banned
- The Politics Of Degrees: Is It Important That Leaders Be Well Educated?
- BJP Names Hans Raj Hans For North West Delhi LS Seat, Drops Udit Raj
- PM Modi Planning To Hike Fuel Prices After May 23, Alleges Congress
- WATCH: Water From Rooftop Pool Falls 600 Feet Down Manila Building During Philippines Earthquake
- Prashant Bhushan, Arundhati Roy Seek Independent Inquiry Into Allegations Against CJI Ranjan Gogoi
- A Sustainable Nutrition Revolution Is What India Needs Today!
- Shashi Tharoor Alleges EVM Rigging, Votes Going To 'Lotus'
- Toll Of Indians Killed In Sri Lanka Bombings Rises To 10
- WATCH: Dhoni's Monster Six Off Umesh Yadav Is Officially Season's Biggest